Jordy Rosenberg is the author of Confessions of the Fox, published in 2018 by Random House/One World in the U.S., Atlantic Books UK, Allen & Unwin in Australia, and forthcoming from Paseka in Czech. He received an MA and PhD from Cornell University, and a BA from Wesleyan University. He is the recipient of a Society for the Humanities Fellowship from Cornell University (2013-2014), and an Ahmanson-Getty Fellowship from the Center for Seventeenth- and Eighteenth-Century Studies at UCLA (2009- 2010), as well as a Marion and Jasper Whiting Foundation Award, the Catherine Macaulay Prize, and a William Andrews Clark Memorial Library Joint Fellowship Award. Professor Rosenberg's fields of research and teaching include eighteenth-century transatlantic literature and poetry, moral philosophy, political theory, queer and trans theory, early modern materialism, Marxism, and secularization. Professor Rosenberg's first book, Critical Enthusiasm: Capital Accumulation and the Transformation of Religious Passion, was published in 2011 by Oxford University Press.
Books and Special Journal Issues
- Confessions of the Fox, (Random House, 2018)
- Critical Enthusiasm: Capital Accumulation and the Transformation of Religious Passion (New York: Oxford University Press, 2011)
- Queer Studies and the Crisis of Capitalism, co-editor Amy Villarejo, GLQ, 18.1
- The Dispossessed Eighteenth Century, a special issue of The Eighteenth Century: Theory and Interpretation, co-edited with Chi-ming Yang (vol 55, no 3, Fall 2014)
- "The Birth of Theory and the Long Shadow of the Dialectic," PMLA, v.130, n. 2, August 2015
- Entry for "Primitive Accumulation," The Bloomsbury Companion to Marx, eds. Diamanti, Pendakis, and Szeman (forthcoming)
- "Sexuality," in Handbook of Marxism, eds. Farris, Skeggs, and Toscano (forthcoming).
- "Monstrously Unpositable: Primitive Accumulation and the Aesthetic Arc ofCapital," J19, 2015 (3:1).
- "The Dispossessed Eighteenth Century," with Chi-ming Yang, Introduction to The Dispossessed Eighteenth Century, The Eighteenth Century: Theory and Interpretation (vol 55, no 3, Fall 2014)
- "The Molecularization of Sexuality," Theory and Event 17.2 (Spring 2014)
- "Framing Finance: Rebellion, Dispossession, and the Geopolitics of Enclosure in Samuel Delany's Nevèrÿon Series," with Britt Rusert (Radical History Review118, Winter 2014)
- "Queerness, Norms, Utopia" (with Amy Villarejo), GLQ 18.1, December 2011
- "Accumulate! Accumulate! That is Moses and the Prophets!: Secularism, Historicism, and the Critique of Enthusiasm," The Eighteenth Century: Theory and Interpretation, Vol 51.4 (Winter 2010)
- "The Terrestrial Transatlantic: Ground Rent and Capital Accumulation in Dorset and the Carolina Colony," in Teaching the Transatlantic Eighteenth Century, eds. Jennifer Frangos and Cristobal Silva, Cambridge Scholars Press, January 2011.
- "Serious Innovation: A Conversation with Judith Butler," in The Blackwell Companion to GLBT/Q Studies Reader (Blackwell Publishing, August 2007)
- "The Bosom of the Bourgeoisie: Edgeworth's Belinda ," ELH , vol. 70, no. 2 (Summer 2003)
- "Butler 's 'Lesbian Phallus' or, What Can Deconstruction Feel?" GLQ 9.3 (Spring 2003)
"Sky Veins of Potosí," forthcoming in the Boston Review, "Global Dystopias" special issue, edited by Junot Diaz.
"The Pocket Encyclopedia of Revolutionary Violence, for the Years 1066-2092"; Entry F: The Fen; Fence, Spring/Summer 2014
"The Pocket Encyclopedia of Revolutionary Violence, for the Years 1066-2092"; Entry W: The Weir; The Common, Spring 2013
Essays and Reviews
- "Trans/War Boy/Gender: On the Primitive Accumulation of T,"http://salvage.zone/in-print/transwar-boygender-on-the-primitive-accumulation-of-t/
- Gender Trouble on Mother's Day, http://www.avidly.org/2014/05/09/gender-trouble-on-mothers-day/
- "The Future Historical Perspective: Mieville's Queer Duree," (review essay of China Mieville's Iron Council), GLQ 16.5
- "Reading Lessons: Rasselas with The Matrix," (short essay on eighteenth-century pedagogy and film theory), The Johnsonian Newsletter 55, no. 1 (March 2004)
- "Becoming Hole (The Hiddener Abode); World Picture Journal 11 http://www.worldpicturejournal.com/WP_11/Rosenberg_11.html