Careers & Internships
The English major prepares students to write and speak well, to think analytically and critically, and to solve problems quickly, all of which are required and sought after in today's 21st century job market.
To help you decide where to direct your skills, we hold workshops, sponsor internships, and run a Careers seminar.
- Internships for English majors: Internship Office Drop In Hours: Mondays and Thursdays 1-3 PM, W321 South College
- Careers seminar: The Major and Beyond (Greve, 2 credits)
- Specializations can help you to develop marketable skills in writing, editing, and digital technology
- Portfolios: view sample student portfolios
- Career advising services: Walk-in resume review and career advising: Tuesdays and Wednesdays 1-3 PM in the Commons of South College
- Resume and cover letter tips (PDF), sample resumes (PDF), job interview tips (PDF)
- How to set up your Handshake account
- Join the official LinkedIn group for UMass English
My English degree from UMass Amherst has taken me to places I never thought was possible. It’s such an incredibly versatile discipline. — Matt McNulty '10, Content Supervisor at Google