Careers & Internships
The English major prepares students to write and speak well, to think analytically and critically, and to solve problems quickly, all of which are required and sought after in today's 21st century job market.
Listed below are recurring, for-credit internships that may be of particular interest to English majors. More internship options (paid and unpaid) can be found through Handshake or CareerConnect (old system). HFA has an Internship Assistance Fund to help students pursue internship opportunities.
- Digital Communications Intern, English Department - Application period begins April 15
- University of Massachusetts Press (Editorial/Production Intern) - Apply by May 1
- Digital Communications Intern, Western Massachusetts Writing Project (WMWP) - Priority will be give to applications received by May 1
- University of Massachusetts Press (Summer Intern)
- Juniper Institute - Administrative Assistant for summer creative writing conferences. Must have workstudy. Applications period begins in September. Contact Betsy Wheeler.
- Digital Communications Intern, English Department - Application period begins Nov 6
- University of Massachusetts Press (Publicity & Marketing Intern) - Apply by Nov 1
- University of Massachusetts Press (Editorial/Production Intern) - Apply by Nov 1
- Digital Communications Intern, Western Massachusetts Writing Project - Apply by Sept 8
To help you decide where to direct your skills, we hold workshops, sponsor internships, and run a Careers seminar.
- Careers seminar: The Major and Beyond (Greve, 2 credits, fall and spring semesters)
- Specializations give students options for developing specific skillsets in writing, editing, and digital technology
- Individual career advising: contact Career Development Services at 413-545-6152
- Resume and cover letter tips (PDF), sample resumes (PDF), job interview tips (PDF)
- Walk-in resume review is available at Career Services, Monday through Friday from 1:00 to 4:00 p.m. in 511 Goodell. Call 413-545-2224