Guide to Using Handshake
WHY SIGN UP?
Handshake is the ultimate career network and recruiting platform for college students. Handshake helps students find the careers they want, together.
HOW TO LOG IN and SIGN UP:
- Visit umass.joinhandshake.com.
- Click the button that prompts you to sign in with your school (“University of Massachusetts Amherst Current Student Login,” located to the right of the blue Handshake logo).
STEP 1: FILL OUT YOUR PROFILE
SPIRE automatically loads some of your information into your Handshake profile.
- Check to be sure all pre-loaded information is correct (such as program of study and university affiliation).
- Walk through and fill out the prompts that ask you about what position you’re seeking, ideal location of position, and what you’re looking for in a position. Tip: Select more than one option! This will help you broaden your search and the results.
- Add information about your skills, GPA, extracurricular activities and organizations, and any prior work or volunteer experience.
- At the bottom of the page, click the green “Launch” button. This will publish your profile!
Congratulations! You now have a Handshake profile. When you’re ready, you can add a resume to your profile (see below).
STEP 2: Add a resume or other documents
- To add a document, such as a resume, go to your name in the top right-hand corner and click the downward pointing arrow. Select “Documents.”
- Follow the prompts to upload a document from your computer.
- Your uploaded document appears when you click on “Documents.” To feature it in your profile, click the blue button that says “Feature on Profile” at the top right-hand corner of the document preview.
- To add another document, click “Add New Document.”
STEP 3: MAKING THE MOST OF HANDSHAKE
Your main profile has several important features.
Positions that may be popular in your major will pop up, including information about the job and the application deadline date.
Underneath that, Handshake lists campus events from the Career Center.
Further down the page, there are other important resources, such as FAQs about how to apply to positions, positions that are expiring soon, and other information about career paths that you can pursue.
- At the top of the page, the drop-down menu also offers shortcuts to some of these tools.
- In this menu, click the downward pointing arrow under “Career Center.” Under “Appointments,” schedule an appointment with HFA to discuss careers, internships, and application materials.
- Under your name, which is posted in the top right-hand corner, view your pending applications. To do this, click on “Applications.”
- Tip: In that dropdown menu (underneath “Applications”), select “Career Interests.” Update some of your featured results as your interests and goals evolve and shift.
- As you use Handshake, make sure you continue to update your profile! Add an image of yourself (pick one that is well-lit, high-resolution, and looks professional), new work experiences, and other related skills, interests and projects. You can do this by going to your name and clicking on “Profile.”
- More questions? Visit Handshake’s Help Center!