The University of Massachusetts Amherst
HFA - College of Humanities & Fine Arts view HFA submenu

English Minor Requirements

  • English 200 Introduction to Literary Studies

  • 1 British literature course at a 200 or higher level

  • 1 American literature course at a 200 or higher level

  • 1 course in global Anglophone or ethnic American literature, culture or rhetorics at a 200 or higher level

  • 1 English elective at a 200 or higher level 

  • 1 upper-level English elective at a 300 or higher level

All minor requirements have a qualifying grade of a C or better. A maximum of two transfer or inter-departmental courses can be counted toward the minor if they are pre-approved by the English undergraduate office.

If you have any questions about the minor requirements, contact the English undergraduate office (E345 South College).

English Minor requirements checklist (PDF) for advising and tracking progress.


How to Declare

To declare the minor in English, contact the Undergraduate Program Coordinator, Celeste Stoddard at or stop by the English undergraduate office located at E345 South College.