English Major Requirements
The English Major at UMass Amherst is a broad introduction to American, British, and Anglophone literature that develops powerful skills of reading, writing, speaking, and critical thinking. The Major requires a minimum of 10 courses or 32 credits and allows students to specialize in a wide variety of sub-fields in English.
How to Declare
Students who wish to major in English must:
Fill out a change-of-major form in the Undergraduate English Office, South College E345. To do this remotely, email Celeste Stuart: email@example.com.
Complete College Writing (English Writing 112), which is the prerequisite to enrolling in English 200.
Complete English 200 (Intensive Literary Studies Seminar for Intended Majors) and earn a grade of C or better, as well as attend a mandatory orientation session. Also required for the English minor.
English Major Requirements
Note: Students who declared the major prior to fall 2016 must fulfill older requirements; please contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you have questions.
_____ English 200: Intensive Literary Studies Seminar for Intended Majors and Minors (4 credits)
While enrolled in English 200, students may also take other 200- and 300-level English courses, but are asked to speak with an advisor to talk over their options.
_____ One course in British Literature and Culture before 1700
221 Shakespeare counts (4 cr)
_____ Pick 2 courses from the following 3 categories:
- British Literature and Culture after 1700
- American Literature and Culture before 1865
- American Literature and Culture after 1865
_____ One course in Anglophone or ethnic American literature, culture or rhetorics
This must be fulfilled with a 200+ level course.
_____ English 300: Junior Year Writing (4 credits)
Required for primary majors and dual degree. Waived for 2nd majors.
_____ One elective – 200 or higher level
_____ One elective – 300 or higher level
Students may count English 398 (a graded, 3-credit internship) towards this requirement.
_____ One elective – 400 or higher level
_____ Integrative Experience
Required for primary majors only. Waived for 2nd majors and dual degrees.
Students are strongly encouraged to complete at least one specialization in English.
- You must earn a C or better in all courses taken toward the major.
- Two upper-level electives may come from closely related 300- or 400-level courses in other departments with approval from one of the chief advisors in E345 South College.
- If a course meets more than one requirement, a student may count 1 course twice but will then need to take an additional upper level elective for a total of three 300+ elective courses.
- A limited number of pre-approved courses may be offered as substitutes for 201, 202, 268, and 269 each semester.
- Second majors in English are not required to complete either Junior Year Writing or the Integrative Experience.
- Students pursuing dual degree must fulfill Junior Year Writing in English even if they are listed on Spire as 2nd majors who are waived.
- The successful completion of the Professional Writing and Technical Communications specialization path fulfills the Integrative Experience requirement.
- If there is any doubt about the applicability of a particular course in another department, or from another school, check with the chief undergraduate advisors in E345 South College.
- See advising FAQs.