English as a Second Language
Teaching English as a second language is a career path for many English majors. Certification is not required to teach English as a second language. However, it is strongly recommended as it will make you better prepared and more qualified for those kinds of jobs. Though there is no undergraduate degree available on campus for teaching ESL, there is a certificate that provides an ample background in the field.
In addition, the School of Education offers a Masters with a focus on Bilingual, ESL, and Multicultural Education.
Other ESL Certification Programs
- Boston Academy of English
- Boston University ESL Program
- The Boston Language Institute
- Center for New Americans (provides training for volunteers)
- Certificate in in Teaching English as a Second or Other Language (in the Department of Linguistics)
- The International Language Institute of Massachusetts
- The Jones Library ESL Center (provides training for volunteers)
- TEFL International