The University of Massachusetts Amherst
HFA - College of Humanities & Fine Arts view HFA submenu

English as a Second Language

Teaching English as a second language is a career path for many English majors. Certification is not required to teach English as a second language. However, it is strongly recommended as it will make you better prepared and more qualified for those kinds of jobs. Though there is no undergraduate degree available on campus for teaching ESL, there is a certificate that provides an ample background in the field. 

In addition, the School of Education offers a Masters with a focus on Bilingual, ESL, and Multicultural Education

Other ESL Certification Programs