Elementary, Early Childhood, and Special Education
Students interested in teaching elementary school are advised to pursue and complete the major of their choice. They are encouraged to apply in their senior year to CTEP (Collaborative Teacher Education Pathway), a 10-month, full-time program blending intensive academic study with carefully supervised field experiences.
Students interested in Early Childhood Education or Special Education must pursue those concentrations within the Education major, though they may still pursue a minor or major in English if their schedule permits.
You are strongly encouraged to visit the School of Education (121 Furcolo Hall) to speak with an advisor and discuss your goals. All of the paths require planning and in some cases special course work, so the sooner you plan, the better prepared you will be.
Resources for teaching careers
- Information on the minor in Education
- Educator Licensure, The Commonwealth of Massachusetts
- Massachusetts Department of Education - Elementary and Secondary Teaching
- Massachusetts Tests for Licensure Home Page
- Education Licensure Overview