Skip to main content

FAQ: Certificates and Specializations

Individual option

Students who wish to design their own specialization in place of the options above may propose an individualized path. Interested students must first obtain approval from a supervising faculty member in that area.

Declare your intent

Students considering a specialization are encouraged to contact one of the advisors associated with it. No formal paperwork is needed to begin coursework, but you are encouraged to declare your intent to pursue a path in the form of a letter of specialization, certificate, or concentration in English


Declare completion

Once you are enrolled in the final courses needed to complete your letter of specialization, please submit the online completion form or let Celeste know in the English undergraduate office located at E345 South College.

Upon completion of the specialization or certificate, students receive a signed certificate. Students who complete a certificate or concentration will also see those credentials on their transcript.