Guide to Creating a Portfolio on Box
What is Box?
Box is a secure way to share and store files and folders online. Box consolidates your content in a single location, easily accessible from anywhere, on any device. You can create files and folders, share them using a direct link, invite others to collaborate, and continue to revise and review your content. All UMass students, faculty, and staff can use Box for free.
Why should I use Box?
Box is a free, easy way to get started keeping a portfolio. Storing your papers in Box is a bit of insurance against USB or hard drive failures. It also means that you'll have a writing sample at the ready whenever you might need it.
Log in and use your Box account:
- Visit https://www.umass.edu/it/box.
- Click the button that prompts you to sign in with your NetID and password by clicking Log in to Secure Online Storage at UMass Amherst.
- Create a folder by clicking on New in the top right-hand corner, selecting the dropdown menu, and clicking on Folder.
- In the dialogue window that pops up, create your portfolio folder. Invite other users to view your material or contribute to your folder, or keep it private.
Tip: If you do this, you will share the whole folder with them!
- Click Create. Your new folder appears at the top of your Box main page. Double-click the folder to add content to it.
- To add subfolders within your portfolio folder, click on New in the top right-hand corner, selecting the dropdown menu, and clicking on Folder. Just like to create a portfolio folder, title your folder by the name of the project or class. Add viewers or uploads now, or wait to add people later.
- Once you have folders, add materials to them. You can do this by clicking on the folder icon for the specific class or project.
- To upload material, click Upload in the top right-hand corner. In the dropdown menu, select Files to add individual materials or Folder to add a group of materials.
Tip: You can also drag and drop directly from your desktop.
- To add collaborators to a specific folder, click Share this folder on the right-hand side. Invite people to edit or comment or download your folder as a link.
- More questions? Visit Box's Help Center!