The University of Massachusetts Amherst

People with Disabilities

If you are a student or staff member with disabilities, it is vital that you take a proactive approach in planning for emergencies. Visit UMass Disability Services for more information, or, contact the office directly at 413-545-0892 to discuss creating a specific plan for your needs.

Students with physical disabilities living in residence halls

During an evacuation, follow the same protocol outlined here. If you need assistance leaving a building or area, notify a co-worker, friend, roommate, etc. that you will wait by the nearest stairwell. Do not use an elevator during an evacuation. Also, call UMass Police at 413-545-2121 from your cell phone and let the operator know of your exact location. Stay calm until help arrives.

If you require special assistance to respond to emergency situations, work with Disability Services to discuss a personalized plan for evacuating your building.

Students who live off-campus

Develop and practice your own evacuation plans as part of a comprehensive fire safety plan. The Disability Services office can assist with home and fire safety advice.

Emergencies on Campus

In the event of an evacuation from a campus building that is not your residence, you should proceed to the nearest stairwell and wait for an officer to help you get out of the building.

Emergency personnel are instructed to check all exit corridors and stairwells first for any stranded persons. If an evacuation is required, alert your professor or a co-worker/classmate who can tell others that you are going to the stairwell to await assistance. If possible, ask another person if they are willing to accompany you to the stairwell and to ensure that an officer is aware of your exact location. You should also call UMass Police at 413-545-2121 using your cell phone and tell the dispatcher where you are and what assistance you will need to get out of the building.

Stay calm until help arrives. If help has not arrived within 5-10 minutes, call the UMass Police again.

Accessibility Map of UMass

For more information, contact:

Disability Services
233 Whitmore Building


FEMA: Individuals with Access and Functional Needs

American Red Cross: People with Disabilities