Student Resources

Professional Associations

All students are encouraged to become active members of National and State Counseling Associations. Professional associations offer valuable resources for professional development and professional advocacy.


Other ACA Divisions:



There are a variety of housing options both on and off campus to explore once you know you will be attending UMass Amherst. Additional information can be found at the following links:

Transportation & Parking

There are a variety of transportation options for those who live on and off campus. Additional information can be found at the following links:

Car Travel

UMass Parking Services sells parking permits for lots on campus.

Alternatively, you can purchase a full-year parking pass to park in the Immanuel Lutheran Church parking lot next door to the school of education building (Furcolo). This parking pass is valid for daytime use (7am – 10pm) Monday-Friday. These passes are available on a first-come-first-serve basis. You can find more information by calling 413-549-0322 sometime between Mon-Fri from 10 a.m. through 2 p.m.

Graduate students can also join the graduate student union for a nominal fee, and that membership provides a parking discount. See the Graduate Employee Organization (GEO) website for additional information.

PVTA Bus Transportation

UMass Transit operates PVTA buses for the Five Colleges as well as the towns of Amherst, Belchertown, Deerfield, Granby, Hadley, Northampton, South Hadley, and Sunderland. PVTA bus service is free for UMass students in Amherst (except the B 45 in summer)

PVTA Bus Schedule 
Locate your PVTA bus online, or with a downloadable app. 

Bicycling to Campus

Rail Trail (Bike Path): "The Norwottock Branch of the Mass Central Rail Trail is an 11-mile paved path linking Northampton, Hadley, Amherst and Belchertown along the former Central Massachusetts Railroad Company right-of-way. The path's level terrain provides safe passage for pedestrian and wheeled users of all ages, types and abilities" - from Massachusetts Department of Conservation and Recreation. Check out a copy of the Rail Trail Map.

Additional Resources

Please take care of yourself! Stress, sleep problems, anxiety, depression, interpersonal concerns, death of a loved one/significant other, lack of finances, and alcohol/substance abuse are among the top impediments to academic performance. Students experiencing problems or situational crises are encouraged to contact the following UMass resources:

  • Single Stop Resources 
    • A hub with links to on-campus resources including housing, food, legal advice, employment, academic help, transportation, money, stress relief, healthcare, and family assistance
  • Center for Counseling and Psychological Health
    • (413) 545-2337
    • After hours: (413) 577-5000 *ask for CCPH clinician on-call
    • 127 Hills North
  • Dean of Students Office 
    • (413) 545-2684
    • 227 Whitmore
  • COE Student Emergency Funds
    • Email Shane Hammond,
    • Funds range from $100 to $1,000; requires a brief application explaining the nature of the emergency
  • Student Supply Closets
    • Students can pick up health and hygiene items free of charge from any of five locations
  • Student Food Pantry 
    • Available if you are having difficulty affording groceries or accessing sufficient food to eat

Other helpful resources may include: