Honors and Awards:
- President, Econ4: Economics for People, the Planet and the Future
- International Advisory Board, Journal of Peasant Studies.
- Steering Committee, E3: Economics for Equity and the Environment, 2006-2014.
- Advisory Board, Center for Popular Economics.
- Editorial Advisory Board, Development and Change.
- Member, Massachusetts Department of Conservation and Recreation, Division of Water Supply Protection, Science and Technical Advisory Committee, 2010.
- Member, Economic and Allocation Advisory Committee for the California Global Warming Solutions Act, California Environmental Protection Agency and California Air Resources Board, 2009-2010.
- Consultative and Advisory Review Group, Crisis States Research Centre, London School of Economics, 2002-2010. (Chair, 2006-2010.)
- Open Society Foundations grant for Research on Case Studies on Capital Flight from Africa, 2016-.
- Institute for New Economic Thinking Grant for Research on Air Quality Co-Benefits in Climate Policy, 2015-2017
- National Science Foundation grant for Collaborative Research on the Correlates and Consequences of Risks from Airborne Toxics: Dynamic Spatial Analysis, 2011-2014.
Economics, the Environment, and Our Common Wealth. Northampton, MA: Edward Elgar, 2013.
Africa's Odious Debts: How Foreign Loans and Capital Flight Bled a Continent (with Léonce Ndikumana). London: Zed Books, 2011.
Peace and the Public Purse: Economic Policies for Postwar Statebuilding (editor, with Madalene O'Donnell). Boulder, CO: Lynne Rienner, 2007.
Reclaiming Nature: Environmental Justice and Ecological Restoration (editor, with Sunita Narain and Elizabeth A. Stanton). London: Anthem Press, 2007.
Natural Assets: Democratizing Environmental Ownership (co-editor with Barry G. Shelley). Washington, D.C.: Island Press, 2003.
Investing in Peace: Aid and Conditionality after Civil Wars. International Institute for Strategic Studies Adelphi Paper 351. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2002.
The Political Economy of the Environment. Cheltenham, U.K. and Northampton, MA: Edward Elgar, 2002.
Economic Policy for Building Peace: The Lessons of El Salvador (editor). Boulder, CO: Lynne Rienner, 1996. Revised edition published in Spanish as Ajuste Hacia La Paz: La politica economica de posguerra en El Salvador, Mexico City: Plaza y Valdes, 1999.
The Philippines: The Political Economy of Growth and Impoverishment in the Marcos Era. London: Macmillan; Honolulu: University of Hawaii Press; Quezon City: Ateneo de Manila University Press. Published in conjunction with the OECD Development Centre's Research Programme on Alternative Development Strategies, 1993.
Agrarian Impasse in Bengal: Institutional Constraints to Technological Change. Oxford and New York: Oxford University Press, 1987. Winner of the 1990 Edgar Graham Book Prize.
A Quiet Violence: View from a Bangladesh Village (with Betsy Hartmann). London: Zed Press; Delhi: Oxford University Press; San Francisco: Institute for Food and Development Policy; and Dhaka: University Press Limited, 1983.