UMass Amherst has a long-standing commitment to social progress and social justice. We value diversity and equity and strive for inclusive excellence in our classrooms, research labs, dorms, and beyond. All campus community members seek to uphold the following values of diversity, equity, and inclusion:
- The University of Massachusetts Amherst, as a public land-grant institution, has a responsibility to provide access and opportunities for all people while demonstrating a commitment to inclusion of historically underrepresented groups.
- The University of Massachusetts Amherst is committed to ensuring freedom of expression and dialogue among diverse groups in a community defined by mutual respect.
- Historical and structural biases based on race, ethnicity, gender, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, and religion exist in our nation and have influenced the history of our institution.
- Institutions of higher education are entrusted with significant resources and commensurably significant responsibilities. UMass Amherst affirms its responsibility by creating and ensuring a respectful, safe, and inclusive campus for all members of the community.
- The University of Massachusetts Amherst does not tolerate incidents of discrimination, assault, harassment, threats, intimidation, profiling, or coercion based on membership or perceived membership in a particular racial, religious, gender, gender identity, gender expression, or sexual orientation group nor based on color, national origin, disability, or veteran status. Such acts are antithetical to the values of the campus and damage individuals and the free and open environment of the university.