BOOKed: DEFA at the Crossroads
This 13-DVD set is designed to accompany DEFA at the Crossroads of East German and International Film Culture (DeGruyter, 2014), edited by Marc Silberman (University of Wisconsin) and Henning Wrage (Gettysburg College).
DEFA at the Crossroads of East German and International Film Culture proposes that GDR cinema was never just a monologue. Rather, its media landscape was characterized by constant dialogue, if not competition with both the capitalist West and other national cinemas of the socialist East.
The volume’s thirteen essays explore international networks, identifying lines of influence beyond national boundaries and recognizing genre characteristics that surpass temporal and spatial confines.
An international team of film specialists presents detailed analyses of over fifty films, including fiction features, adaptations of literary classics, children's films, documentaries, and examples of genres such as music, sci-fi, Westerns and crime films.
This DVD boxed-set includes the following films:
- Destinies of Women, GDR (Dudow, 1952)
- Five Cartridges, GDR (Beyer, 1960)
- Divided Heaven, GDR (Wolf, 1964)
- Beethoven – Days in a Life, GDR (Seemann, 1976)
- The Story of a Young Couple, GDR (Maetzig, 1951)
- Hot Summer, GDR (Hasler, 1968)
- The Murderers Are among Us, Germany (Staudte, 1946)
- In the Dust of Stars, GDR (Kolditz, 1976)
- The Axe of Wandsbek, GDR (Harnack, 1951)
- Jadup and Boel, GDR (Simon, 1981/88)
- Somewhere in Berlin, Germany (Lamprecht, 1946)
- Just Don’t Think I’ll Cry, GDR (Vogel, 1965/90)
- ART | WORK Six Shorts, GDR (Böttcher, 1961 – 1984)