Withdrawal Checklist

University Bill

Students are advised to contact the Office of the Bursar to ensure their account is in good standing. If a student's account is not in good standing, they will be prevented from receiving grades or being readmitted to the University following a withdrawal. The Office of the Bursar will send outstanding balances to collections. Please work with their office to avoid any additional fees.

Office of the Bursar
215 Whitmore Admin Building

Students who complete a University Withdrawal may be eligible for a full/partial tuition refund. The tuition refund schedule during an academic semester is based on the last day a student attended classes. That date is reported by the student/faculty and will be documented on the student’s University Withdrawal Form. Information about timeline and corresponding tuition refund schedule can be found here.


On-Campus Housing

Students who live on campus and plan to withdraw from the University should make arrangements to move out of their residence hall within seven (7) days of completing their University Withdrawal paperwork. The housing refund schedule is based on the day that the student returns their room key to their assigned Residential Service Desk (RSD). If a student decides to withdraw prior to the semester starting, they will need to contact Residential Life at 413-545-2100 or living@umass.edu to cancel their housing for that upcoming semester. Information about the timeline and corresponding refund/cancellation schedule can be found here.

If the student plans on completing the re-enrollment process and returning to UMass in a future semester, they will need to complete the online room selection process if they would like to have an on-campus living assignment again. Please contact Residential Life at 413-545-2100 or living@umass.edu to find out more about the specific online room selection process for the semester the student will be returning.


Off-Campus Housing

Students who live off-campus likely have a lease/contract with a landlord. If a student is leaving the area due to a University Withdrawal, they will need to work with their landlord and roommates (if applicable) to determine the best solution.

The following resources may be helpful in this process:

Financial Aid

Depending on when the student withdraws, and the source of their awards, their financial aid may have to be reduced or canceled for the term.  If their financial aid is canceled or reduced, the student might owe money to the University.  Federal regulations require Financial Aid Services to apply a formula established by the U.S. Department of Education to determine the amount of federal financial aid a student has earned as of the date the student last attended classes.

The amount of federal financial aid returned to federal aid programs is determined by the amount of time the student spent in academic attendance, but has no relationship to the institutional charges incurred by the student.

After 60% of the semester has passed, the student has earned 100% of the federal financial aid awarded to them. For students receiving state financial aid, a state refund calculation will be completed. The state refund calculation takes into consideration the amount the student owes and the amount of federal aid the student may remain eligible for.

For more information, please contact Financial Aid at (413) 545-0801 or finaid@finaid.umass.edu.


Student Health Insurance

Students who complete a University Withdrawal are eligible to keep their Student Health Benefit Plan (SHBP) if the reason for the withdrawal is a Medical Withdrawal. All other types of withdrawals do not qualify.

Students who have the UMass Amherst Student Health Benefit Plan (SHBP) through Consolidated Health Plans should contact Patient Services at University Health Services (UHS) at 413-577-5192 to notify them of the withdrawal from the University. If the student requested a Medical Withdrawal and would like to keep their school-sponsored health insurance, they will need to speak with UHS Patient Services for more information.

Academic Dean

Students are strongly recommend to speak with their Academic Dean before withdrawing. Academic Deans are the best people to speak with regarding the effect a withdrawal will have on their academic program, graduation date, and eligibility to return.

Additionally, an Academic Dean can discuss credits taken outside of UMass Amherst if a student plans to take classes at another college/university during their time away.

Parking Services

Students with University parking passes may be eligible for a prorated refund depending on when they withdraw from the University during the semester.

For more information, please contact Parking Services at (413) 545-0065.


Meal Plan

Meal plan refunds follow the Tuition & Fee refund schedule, which is based on the last date of attendance. 

For more information please contact the Meal Plan Office at (413) 545-1362.



Students should return all borrowed materials from the University libraries in order to avoid additional fees. Information about the borrowing and returning process can be found here.


International Students

International students who are interested in completing a University Withdrawal need to consult with their IPO Advisor prior to making that decision as it may have an impact on their immigration status.



Student-athletes are directed to speak with a staff member in the Athletic Department to discuss how a withdrawal will effect athletic scholarships and NCAA eligibility. Student-athletes should contact Ariel Pesante, Associate Director of Athletics/Governance and Compliance, to discuss their plans for transitioning off campus, as well as their return to campus (if applicable). Ariel can be reached at 413 545-1823 or ap3@umass.edu.


Re-enrollment to UMass Amherst

Once a student is withdrawn from the University, regardless of the type of withdrawal, they must apply for re-enrollment to the University. Information about the re-enrollment process can be found here. Please contact the University Registrar at 413-545-0555 or regtrans@registrar.umass.edu for more information.