The Dean of Students Office recognizes the detrimental impact that one seemingly minor financial emergency can have on a student’s ability to continue their education. As a result, The University of Massachusetts Amherst Student Care and Emergency Response Fund Microgrant Program and the Foster Student Success Fund Grant were created.
The Microgrant and the Foster Student Success Fund are intended to address an unexpected and/or isolated personal financial emergency. The fund is not intended to cover the cost of tuition or ongoing living expenses. The grant does not have to be repaid. A student may receive only one Microgrant per academic year; the maximum amount for a grant is $500. A student may receive no more than two Microgrants or up to $1,000 during their degree completion.
Students applying for the Microgrant or the Foster Student Success Fund must meet the following eligibility requirements to be approved:
- Enrolled in classes (or continuous enrollment status for graduate students)
- Have room in your Cost of Attendance according to your most recent FAFSA
- Have no outstanding balance with the Office of the Bursar (the grants cannot be applied to outstanding University bills)
- Foster Student Success Fund is only available for students that are current or former foster youth.
- Students are eligible for funding up to $1,000 total during their degree completion.
More information regarding eligibility for the Microgrant and the Foster Student Success Fund can be found on the application form below.
The Dean of Students Office staff administratively manages the Microgrant program, however Microgrant applications are reviewed by a committee comprised of UMass staff.
How to apply?
*Please make sure you download the form in Adobe and save it to your computer before you input information. This is done to prevent disclosure of personal information.