The Dean of Students Office recognizes the detrimental impact that one seemingly minor financial emergency can have on a student’s ability to continue their education. As a result, The University of Massachusetts Amherst Student Care and Emergency Response Fund Microgrant Program and the Foster Student Success Fund Grant were created.
The Microgrant and the Foster Student Success Fund are intended for unexpected financial hardship, such as a car repair, unexpected medical bill, food, or rent assistance. The grant does not have to be repaid, but students may only receive one per academic year, and the maximum award is up to $500.
Students applying for the Microgrant or the Foster Student Success Fund must meet the following eligibility requirements to be approved:
- Enrolled in classes (or continuous enrollment status for graduate students)
- Have room in your Cost of Attendance according to your most recent FAFSA
- Have no outstanding balance with the Office of the Bursar (the grants cannot be applied to outstanding University bills)
- Foster Student Success Fund is only available for students that are current or former foster youth.
- Students are eligible for funding up to $1,000 total during their degree completion.
More information regarding eligibility for the Microgrant and the Foster Student Success Fund can be found on the application form below.
The Dean of Students Office staff administratively manages the Microgrant program, however Microgrant applications are reviewed by a committee comprised of UMass staff.
How to apply?
Submit the Microgrant Application to the Dean of Students Office via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
*Please make sure you download the form in Adobe and save it to your computer before you input information. This is done to prevent disclosure of personal information.
Microgrants are made possible by generous donations to the Student Care and Emergency Response Fund and Foster Student Success Fund.