Temporary Relocations of Student Union Departments, Businesses, and Registered Student Organizations (RSOs) Listed HERE.
The Student Union building was designed by architect and UMass alumnus Louis Warren Ross in the modernist style, and completed in 1957. Located at the center of the UMass Amherst campus, it was the first campus building dedicated to student organizations and extracurricular activities. The facility contains shared common areas, a large ballroom, and dedicated offices for student organizations and other campus services. At the time of its construction, the Student Union was the largest building on campus, and served 4,800 students.
Today, the building supports over 30,000 students and 200 registered student organizations (RSOs). This growth necessitates renovations and infrastructure upgrades to accommodate modern space and service needs of the student body.
Designed by Boston architects Shepley Bulfinch, the $62 million renovation project will revitalize the facility as a modern hub for student activity and interaction, and reconnect the building to its surrounding natural landscape. As a “global campus living room,” the design will embrace student entrepreneurship, organizations, and events to support collaboration, multidisciplinary learning, and leadership. The project team is targeting completion for fall 2020, and anticipating LEED Silver Certification.
PLANNED FEATURES INCLUDE:
- A highly active “Main Street” style promenade, lined with retail, student services, and dining options
- A dedicated media center serving the Massachusetts Daily Collegian newspaper, UVC-TV19 television channel, and WMUA radio station
- A new entry and outdoor plaza, including a streamlined connection to the Lincoln Campus Center
- Expanded student business space; new meeting, activity and assembly space
- Office, work, and shared conference room space
- A new “black box” theater designed to provide additional on-campus performance and screening space
- The original ballroom and Cape Cod Lounge will be repurposed into new, divisible, multipurpose areas for medium-sized assembly, functions, and events
- Dedicated storage lockers for RSOs
- Updated mechanical, electrical and fire systems to meet modern building code and ADA accessibility standards
PLEASE BE ADVISED:
- The building was to be completely vacated by Monday, January 14; all materials not removed for relocation or storage by January 14 have been removed for recycle or disposal.
- Student Affairs departments, businesses, and Registered Student Organizations (RSOs) have been temporarily relocated as follows:
Alpha Phi Omega (Kappa Omicron Chapter) Bartlett 327B Bike Co-op Bartlett 102A Campus Design & Copy Bartlett 312 Cannabis Reform Coalition Bartlett Basement 068G Center for Education Policy & Advocacy (CEPA) Bartlett 207 Center for Student Businesses Bartlett 209 Coalition to End Rape Culture (CERC) Bartlett Basement 068H Crew Club Bartlett Basement 068J Daily Collegian Campus Center 112 Earth Foods Bartlett 156 Epic Movement at UMass Bartlett 327A Graduate Employee Union Campus Center 915 Graduate Student Senate Campus Center 915 Haitian American Student Association (HASA) Bartlett 325C International Relations Club and Model UN Team Bartlett Basement 068E International Students Club Bartlett Basement 068B Latinos Unidos Bartlett 325C Massachusetts Public Interest Research Group Bartlett 317A Meeting Rooms Bartlett 305A, B, C, E and 307A, B, C Muslim Students Association Bartlett 308C Off Campus Student Center & Student Parent Programs Bartlett 103 Peoples Market Bartlett 170 Pre-Medical Society Bartlett Basement 068K Republicans Club Bartlett Basement 068D Sisters on the Runway Bartlett 325B Ski 'n' Board Club Bartlett Basement 068A Student Bridges Bartlett 205 Student Engagement and Leadership Bartlett 251 Student Engagement Business Center Bartlett 252 Student Government Association (SGA) Bartlett 319 Student Organization Resource Center (SORC) Bartlett 202 SORC/UPC Conference Room Bartlett 203 Student Union Art Gallery Bartlett 310 Student Union Crafts Center Bartlett Basement 053 Theatre Guild Bartlett Basement 035 University Democrats Bartlett Basement 068C UVC-TV19 Herter 101 WMUA Campus Center 107
If you don't see a RSO you're looking for on this list, please contact the SGA office at (413) 545-0342. If you don't see a Student Affairs department or business that you're looking for, please contact Student Engagement at (413) 545-0677.
- Bicycles should also have been removed from the front of the building. Bicycles that were not claimed and removed by Friday, January 25, have been removed and stored at Tillson Farm. To arrange pick-up of a bicycle at Tillson Farm, contact Gary Glazier, Manager of Landscape and Construction Services, at firstname.lastname@example.org or (413) 835-1253.