The guidelines were developed to present the University's preferences and criteria for the design and construction of campus facilities and landscape.
The goal of the design guidelines is to improve the overall aesthetic character and visual unity of the Amherst campus as a whole. They represent the University's commitment for future buildings to create a more cohesive, attractive, productive and sustainable campus environment.
The following guideline documents are available in PDF format:
- Audio-Visual Program Guidelines
- Campus Landscape Design Standards
- Campus Signage Guidelines
- Climate Action Plan
- Construction Design Guidelines
- Dig Safe Policy and Procedure
- Dig Safe Training and Certification
- Green Building Guidelines
- IT Design Guidelines
- IT Lighting Controls Technical Standards
- Room Numbering Guidelines
- UMass Utility Electrical Standards
- UMass Utility Steam & Condensate Standards
- UMass Water Construction Standards
Note: additional standards and procedures that may affect design and construction (e.g., Elevator Shutdowns, Backflow Prevention, Power Reduction) maybe found on the Physical Plant Resources page.