Thank you for your interest in Flex Grants 2019-2020. The Application process is now closed.
Flex grants of $500 are intended to support faculty professional development related to teaching. These grants are funded by the campus through the MSP contract and are available to faculty every year.
Flex grants are open to all MSP bargaining unit faculty and librarians.
A Flex Grant can cover expenses such as:
- Travel to enhance teaching or area knowledge
- Membership in professional associations
- Classes or workshops to enhance teaching or area knowledge
- Catering a meeting or seminar
- Inviting a speaker to campus
- Hiring a graduate or undergraduate student
- Other resources that enhance professional development related to teaching.
Expenditure and Eligibility Stipulations
- Funds may not be paid to faculty as salary or bonuses, or for any other purpose subject to personal income tax. However, they may be used for student payroll on “CC” funds.
- The Commonwealth of Massachusetts will hold title to any materials or equipment purchased in whole or in part with these funds.
- These funds may not be used to lease space.
- Freight costs must be included in the price of any material or equipment purchased.
- Equipment purchased with these funds must arrive on campus by the end of the fiscal year in which it is ordered.
- Equipment rentals paid for with these funds must terminate by the end of the fiscal year in which the funds were allocated.
- Travel paid for with these funds must begin and end during the fiscal year in which the funds are allocated.
- Any purchase that totals $1000 or more is subject to the requirements of the University bid process (unless covered by a Massachusetts Higher Education Consortium contract or State contract). Bargaining unit members who anticipate utilization of this process must contact their dean's office for instructions.
- Reimbursements will not be allowed except for travel expenses, conference fees, subscriptions, books, tuition, and professional memberships.
- Purchases must follow UMass purchasing regulations. If you have questions, please refer them to your departmental bookkeeper.
In order to respond to the emergent needs of faculty, one proposal per faculty/librarian will be accepted on a rolling basis until the fund is exhausted, but no later than May 1, 2020. The received funds must be spent by the end of fiscal year 2020.
Decisions and awards will be made within approximately two weeks of application receipt.
Apply using registration form below.
For more information, contact CTL