Requirements to be met by all international students
English Language Proficiency
UMass Amherst does not offer a comprehensive English language study program for international students.
All international applicants, whether planning to study online from abroad or on campus in Massachusetts, must verify their English language proficiency in one of the following ways:
- Be a native speaker of English in a country where English is the primary language.
- Submit official scores from the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL). The minimum score to qualify for admission is 80 (internet-based TOEFL). An IELTS score of 6.5 is also accepted. Please note that student score reports are not considered official. Scores only accepted for 2 years after test date.
- Complete two non-ESL English composition courses at a U.S. college or university with grades of B or better, as well as several humanities and/or social science courses with above-average grades. The determination about whether or not a student’s academic record verifies English language ability is made by the Continuing and Professional Education Admissions Office staff.
IMPORTANT: No application is considered complete until English language proficiency requirements have been fulfilled.
Official transcripts from all post-secondary colleges or universities attended are required whether or not transfer credit is desired.
- Non-English transcripts must be accompanied by an official translation including both the signature and title of the translator.
- Applicants may not translate their own documents. If needed, the UMass Translation Center offers translations for a fee.
- In cases where an institution does not provide official original transcripts, an official notarized copy will be accepted.
- Transfer applicants from Chinese Universities: In order to be considered for admission and/or transfer credit, please arrange for a verification report of your university transcript with the China Higher Education Student Information and Career Center (CHESICC). The report must be mailed directly to the UMass Amherst CPE Admissions office by the CHESICC, rather than by you or any third party. Any transcript not mailed by the CHESICC will not be considered
A professional evaluation* of international transcripts is also required.
- Evaluations must be completed course-by-course
- Institutional policies will be applied once official documents are submitted.
- University-approved evaluators are listed below:
Center for Educational Documentation
PO Box 326
Boston MA 02130-0003
617-522-4738 Fax: 617-983-5232
Educational Credential Evaluators Institute
PO Box 514070
Milwaukee WI 53203-3740
414-289-3400 Fax: 414-289-3411
World Education Services
PO Box 745
Old Chelsea Station
New York NY 10113-0745
212-966-6311 or 800-937-3895 Fax: 212-739-6100
*There are no guarantees of transfer credit based on professional evaluations.
Secondary school transcripts are not required for admission, however, it is possible for applicants to receive college credit for certain kinds of secondary programs. The most common credentials awarded college credit are the German Abitur, French Baccalaureat, the International Baccalaureate and the advanced level and advanced subsidiary level exams in the British system.
The UMass Amherst evaluation of previous courses and credits will be conducted only after all required application materials have been received by the CPE Admissions Office.
Contact the CPE Admissions Office at email@example.com, 413-545-3440.