Southeast Aerial Perspective courtesy of UMass Police Department (UMPD)
|UMass Project Manager
Owner's Project Manager
|Designer / Architect
Caolo & Bieniek Associates, Inc.
CIA Construction Co., Inc.
November 2009 - April 2011
Completed in April of 2011, the $12.5 million, 27,130 S.F. UMass Police Station is inviting and approachable to visitors, while maintaining the high level of safety and security required for a police station. Originally located in Dickinson Hall, the new facility relocates UMass police services to the campus perimeter, preserving the core for students, faculty, and academics. The facility operates 24/7 around the clock, 365 days a year, and includes spaces for police training, patrol, investigation, and emergency response.
The facility serves a public safety and teaching role on the university campus. A green kiosk in the lobby provides educational information to students about the building’s green features, and displays live building energy usage statistics. Designed by Caolo & Bieniek Associates, Inc., it is the first new construction project on the UMass campus designed to meet LEED standards, and achieved Gold certification in 2011.
- Implemented erosion and sedimentation control measures
- Native species landscaping requires no irrigation
- Proximity to three bike routes, with facility bike storage and changing rooms provided
- Campus-wide Carpooling Program - Three carpool, and four low-emission vehicle parking spots provided on site
- Light colored roof mitigates the heat island effect
- Onsite stormwater pond reduces runoff
- High-efficiency condensing boiler for domestic hot water use
- Achieved a 41% reduction in potable water use via the installation of low-flow plumbing fixtures
Energy & Atmosphere
- 43% overall reduction in energy use
- Energy recovery ventilation
- Ground loop heat pump redistributes heat to high priority areas
- 21% window-to-wall ratio. Double-glazed, argon-filled windows with thermally broken window frames
- Integrated daylight and occupancy sensors
Materials & Resources
- 23% of building materials were extracted, processed, and manufactured regionally
- 90% of construction wastes were diverted from landfill
- 20% of new construction materials utilize recycled content
- 50% of wood products are Forest Stewardship Council (FSC) Certified
Indoor Environmental Air Quality
- Implemented an Indoor Air Quality Program during construction
- Low-VOC paints, adhesives, sealings, and coatings ensure the health and safety of building occupants
- Lighting and demand-controlled HVAC systems utilize occupancy sensors for energy efficiency and air quality
Click here to access an interactive green building brochure for the Police Station.
Click here to view LEED project score information and statistics for the Police Station.
Click here to view the offical LEED project scorecard for the Police Station.
Click here to view live solar energy data for the Champions Center.
- UMass Amherst Breaks Ground for $12.5-Million Police Building - UMass Amherst News & Media Relations
- UMass Amherst Police Department Hosts Ribbon-Cutting Ceremony at New Station - UMass Amherst News & Media Relations
- UMass Amherst Police Department Begins Operations from New Station on East Pleasant Street on April 12 - UMass Amherst News & Media Relations
- UMass Police Department Moves Into New $12.5 Million Station - MassLive
- UMass Amherst Police Station Awarded LEED Gold Certification - UMass Amherst News & Media Relations