East Exterior Perspective
UMass Project Planner
March 2012 - August 2014
UMass Project Manager
Barr & Barr
Owner's Project Manager
The $93 million, 173,000 S.F. Integrative Learning Center (ILC) provides state-of-the-art education and technology facilities for the Communication, Journalism, Linguistics, and Film Studies departments. Located adjacent to the Lincoln Campus Center and Student Union, the facility houses offices, film broadcasting and production studios, editing and screening rooms, auditoriums, technology-enabled active learning (TEAL) classrooms, lounges, and language laboratories.
Main Common Area
Southeast Aerial Perspective
The building is equipped with the latest audiovisual devices and educational technologies, and accommodates up to 2,000 students. The ILC is designed to adapt to future digital technologies to match the evolving fields of news and journalism, training the students of today for the jobs of tomorrow.
The ILC has been a major success, blending individual study areas with collaborative group spaces. With a turnover rate of 3,600 students per hour, it is one of the most highly trafficked buildings on campus. The project is LEED Gold Certified.
- Community connectivity to core campus services, with easy access to multiple PVTA bus routes
- Bike storage with dedicated shower and changing facilities provided onsite
- Discounted parking for low-emitting and fuel-efficient vehicles
- Compact building footprint maximizes open green space
- 65% of site hardscaping surfaces have a high solar reflectance index (SRI) to help reduce the heat island effect
- 90% of stormwater is managed onsite via natural filtration in lawns and rain gardens, as well as in a rainwater cistern where it is captured, used for irrigation of the green roof, and treated to remove 80% of total suspended solids
- Green roof planted with native, hardy plant species absorbs carbon dioxide, reduces glare, and retains stormwater
- 39% projected reduction in potable water use via dual-flush toilets, high-efficiency urinals, and low-flow faucets
- Anticipates a 64% water reduction associated with the reuse of stormwater for irrigation
- Filling stations encourage the use of reusable water bottles
ENERGY & ATMOSPHERE
- 34% overall reduction in energy use compared to a baseline building design
- Radiant panels heat building occupants directly and are up to 30% more efficient than forced hot air systems
- Exterior louvered shading devices reduce summer cooling loads, and allow for winter solar heat gains
MATERIALS & RESOURCES
- Diverted 80% of construction wastes from landfill
- 21% of building materials were regionally extracted, processed, and manufactured
INDOOR ENVIRONMENTAL AIR QUALITY
- Innovative mechanical system combines dedicated ventilation system with heat recovery wheel to semi-condition the air
- Utilizes natural, passive ventilation
- Individual lighting, thermal comfort controls, and operable windows enable occupants to make adjustments for optimal comfort
- Low-VOC emitting flooring, paints, adhesives, coatings, and sealants
INNOVATION IN DESIGN
- Active public education programs, including building sustainable feature signage, case study, and guided tours
Click here to access an interactive building user manual for the Integrated Learning Center.
Click here to access an interactive green building brochure for the Integrated Learning Center.
Click here to view LEED project score information and statistics for the Integrated Learning Center.
Click here to view the official LEED project scorecard for the Integrated Learning Center.
Click here to view the building energy dashboard for the Integrated Learning Center.
Click each image below to view enlarged.
East Exterior Perspective
Main Common Area
Conference / Seminar Area
South Exterior Perspective
Southeast Exterior Perspective
Northeast Exterior Perspective
Photo Highlights: Integrative Learning Center Ribbon-cutting
UMass Amherst News & Media Relations - 12/9/2014
Integrative Learning Center Opens for Fall Semester
The Massachusetts Daily Collegian - 9/2/2014
Completed Projects, Clearer Pathways Will Greet Campus Community for Fall Semester
UMass Amherst News & Media Relations - 8/28/2014
Ceremony at UMass Amherst Celebrates Launch of New Academic Classroom Building Construction
UMass Amherst News & Media Relations - 10/26/2012
UMass Amherst to Build New $85 Million Academic Classroom Building
UMass Amherst News & Media Relations - 10/22/2010
UMass Amherst Integrative Learning Center
University of Massachusetts at Amherst Integrative Learning Center
Cavanaugh Tocci Associates
Web page design by Ryan Rendano.