|UMass Project Manager
|UMBA Project Manager
STV / DPM
|Designer / Architect
Consigli Construction Co., Inc.
Fall 2014 - March 2016
The $22.5 million, 100,000 S.F. renovations to Furcolo Hall and former Marks Meadow Elementary School bring together students, staff, and faculty members of the College of Education to form one college, one building, and one learning community. The revitalized spaces promote a highly collaborative environment, enriching teaching and research for students and staff across several different departments.
The building’s program includes offices, conference rooms, flexible classrooms, computer labs, and a café. A series of open learning areas with computer workstations, soft seating, and kitchenettes are interspersed with groupings of faculty offices and meeting rooms. Together, through a bright, open, and colorful design, these spaces create an invigorating place to work, learn, and educate.
The school is named after John Foster Furcolo, who established the community college system in Massachusetts. The project was completed in January 2016, and is currently targeting LEED Silver Certification.
- Located near several community services, including a fitness center, library, and student center
- Directly accessible to four PVTA bus routes
- Staff bike storage with shower and changing facilities provided onsite
- Discounted parking for low-emitting and fuel-efficient vehicles
- Anticipating a 20% reduction in potable water use via low-flow plumbing fixtures
- Filtered-water stations promote the use of reusable water bottles
- Water-efficient landscaping utilizes natural irrigation systems
Energy & Atmosphere
- Anticipating an overall energy use reduction of 24%
Materials & Resources
- Building renovation reuses existing walls, floors, and roof
- Diverted demolition and construction wastes from landfill
- New construction materials utilize recycled content
- Building materials were extracted, processed, and manufactured regionally
- Forest Stewardship Council (FSC) Certified wood
Indoor Environmental Air Quality
- Developed and implemented an Indoor Air Quality (AIQ) Plan during construction and pre-occupancy
- Low-VOC flooring, paints, adhesives, and sealants
- Indoor chemical and pollutant source control via floor mats and air filters
- Individual lighting and thermal comfort controls enable occupants to make adjustments for maximum comfort
Innovation In Design
- Green Housekeeping Program incorporates staff training of cleaning processes, chemicals, and occupant feedback
- Green Public Education Program
Click here to access an interactive green building brochure for the Furcolo Hall Renovations.
Click here to view LEED project score information and statistics for the Furcolo Hall Renovations.
All images courtesy of Perkins+Will.
- UMass Amherst College of Education's Renovation - UMass College of Education
- University of Massachusetts, College of Education - Furcolo Hall - Perkins+Will
- UMass Amherst - Furcolo Hall - Horton Lees Brogden Lighting Design
- Furcolo Hall Renovations, UMass Amherst - B+AC, LLC.