Student Support

Student Support

Career Services

The University Career Centers are available with online resources, job and internship postings, and phone or Skype appointments. Contact Career Services at, Monday-Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m.

CARES Act Emergency Financial Aid Grant

The Coronavirus Aid, Relief and Economic Security (CARES) Act provides emergency funds to universities, including UMass Amherst, to directly support students whose lives and educations have been disrupted by the COVID-19 outbreak. This federal funding is designed to prioritize students with the greatest need. More information about the CARES Act.

Center for Counseling and Psychological Health

The Center for Counseling and Psychological Health (CCPH)  is providing mental health services by telephone. Please call 413-545-2337 to speak with our staff, or reach out to your provider directly via the Medicat Patient Portal. Learn more about the temporary service changes CCPH is implementing to align with the campus transition to remote course delivery and access tips for managing coronavirus concerns.

Center for Health Promotion

The Center for Health Promotion staff offers a weekly schedule of virtual classes and discussion groups to support the health and wellbeing of the UMass community during the spring semester.. See schedule and course descriptions for details.

Center for Multicultural Advancement and Student Success

The Center for Multicultural Advancement and Student Success (CMASS) is available remotely for the duration of the semester. Contact CMASS at 413-545-2517 or by email at

Center for Women and Community

The Center for Women and Community (CWC) is available to connect from a distance. If you need resources, email and CWC can connect you with them or use the CWC database to find local resources.

Dean of Students

The Dean of Students Office and Student Conduct and Community Standards Office will maintain operations and services. There will be no staff on-site in Whitmore Administration Building or Thoreau Hall, but staff will be available to work with students and families and consult with faculty and staff via phone, web conference, or email. Contact the Dean of Students Office here.

Microgrants and Short Term Emergency Loans 

The Undergraduate Student Emergency Grant Program and the Foster Student Success Fund Grant (Microgrant) provides emergency microgrants to matriculated undergraduate students experiencing unexpected financial emergencies, hardship, and/or unforeseen personal/family emergencies. Apply for a microgrant.

The Dean of Students Office extend short-term loans to matriculated undergraduate and graduate students for temporary financial emergencies, hardship, and/or unforeseen personal/family emergencies. Apply for an emergency loan.

New Students Orientation

The New Students Orientation (NSO) office in Knowlton Hall is not available for in-person business. Orientation staff members are available Monday-Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. via email ( and phone 413-545-2621.

Off-Campus Student Life

Off Campus Student Center staff are available over email at and will respond within 1 business day. If you would prefer communication via phone, please email your return number and someone on staff will get back to you as quickly as possible. Learn more.

Ombuds Office

The Ombuds Office is operating remotely, available by phone, email, and video conference. Contact the Ombuds Office Monday-Friday from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. at 413-545-0867 or


The Recreation Center is closed and Campus Recreation is offering a variety of virtual and online health and fitness programs.

Refunds for Spring 2020

Students who received adjustments for their Spring 2020 housing, dining or parking fees may take a cash refund or apply the refund toward their Fall 2020 tuition bill

To apply a refund to Fall 22020 tuition bill: Students should complete the Apply Credit to Future Terms Form no later than April 17

To take a cash refund: No action is required other than ensuring that the student are signed up for direct deposit through the University’s Excess Express program.  Instructions for direct deposit are available at Refunds and Excess Express. You must enroll no later than April 17.

Religious and Spiritual Life

The Office of Religious and Spiritual Life continues to offer a range of support during this remote learning period. The office can be contacted at

Stonewall Center

The Stonewall Center is accessible remotely. If you need support or assistance, please reach out by email or Facebook or leave a message at 413-545-4826.

Student Engagement and Leadership

Student Engagement and Leadership (SEL) is providing support for virtual student life, highlighting virtual and remote programming from RSOs and departments of Student Affairs and Campus Life.