To the Campus Community:
I am pleased to announce the formation of a Fall Planning Group with representation from across the UMass Amherst campus charged with developing detailed operational recommendations for the fall semester.
We are working toward more normal campus operations for the next academic year, which would include face-to-face instruction, full residence halls, and a complement of student events and activities. In other words, come fall, we could see campus life as close to pre-COVID times as possible.
The Fall Planning Group is co-chaired by Carol Barr, Senior Vice Provost for Academic Affairs and Dean of Undergraduate Studies, and Tilman Wolf, Senior Vice Provost for Academic Affairs. The group expects to provide me with its recommendations in April.
The full group includes:
- Evelyn Ashley, Dean of Students
- Nancy Buffone, Associate Vice Chancellor for University Relations
- Rolanda Burney, Chief of Staff, Chancellor’s Office
- Jeff Cournoyer, Managing Director of the Mount Ida Campus
- Elsa Cousins, Graduate Student Senate
- Garett DiStefano, Director of Residential and Retail Dining Services
- Janet Fink, Associate Dean of Undergraduate Programs, Isenberg School of Management
- Julia Fox, Student Government Association
- Steve Goodwin, Deputy Chancellor
- Lisa Green, Distinguished Professor of Linguistics, Chair of Faculty Senate Rules Committee
- Jeff Hescock, Executive Director of Environmental Health and Safety
- Kevin Kerwood, Senior Director and Deputy Chief Human Resources Officer
- Adam Lechowicz, Student Government Association
- Sara Littlecrow Russell, Associate Vice Chancellor for Shared Services, Student Affairs and Campus Life
- Mike Malone, Vice Chancellor for Research and Engagement
- Tricia Serio, Dean, College of Natural Sciences
- Jeff Smith, Senior Associate Athletic Director for Internal Operations
- Patrick Sullivan, Registrar
- Kalpen Trivedi, Associate Provost for International Programs
- Ruth Yanka, Executive Director, Administration and Finance Operations
I am grateful to the members of the working group for their willingness to serve and am confident that, with their expertise, we will develop an operational plan for the fall that returns the campus to near-normal operations, while ensuring the health and well-being of every member of our community.
Chancellor Kumble R. Subbaswamy