COVID-19 Testing Programs
Updated Sept. 10, 2020
The asymptomatic testing program for COVID-19, conducted at the Public Health Promotion Center (PHPC) at the Mullins Center, is designed to mitigate community spread through the early detection of infection. Testing is free, fast and critically important in our efforts to prevent the spread of COVID-19.
- Students who reside on campus are required to be tested twice a week. In addition, off-campus students coming to campus for face-to-face classes, research labs or work are also required to be tested twice a week.
- Undergraduate students who live in the Amherst area and are not coming to campus for classes are strongly encouraged to get tested twice a week. We ask that you take us up on this offer for free testing.
- Graduate students who live in the Amherst area and are not coming to campus for classes are strongly encouraged to get tested weekly. These students also have the option to be tested twice a week.
Please note that the Amherst area is defined as Amherst, Hadley, Sunderland, Belchertown, Pelham, Shutesbury and Leverett.
For Faculty and Staff
- Faculty who are teaching or conducting research on campus are required to be tested weekly.
- Clinical faculty who are working in healthcare facilities or University Health Services staff who are providing in-person healthcare are required to be tested twice weekly.
- Staff who regularly work on campus are required to be tested weekly.
The university has worked with departments across campus to identify individuals who are on-site regularly. These individuals have been communicated with directly and received specific instructions about when and how to schedule their test.
How to Arrange Your Asymptomatic Test
Students, faculty or staff who are identified as being a part of our routine asymptomatic testing program will receive an email with instructions on how to schedule appointments through the UMass Health Hub app. You can’t access the app until you have been identified as part of the program. Eligibility details are provided in related content on this page.
Step 1: Schedule Your Test
Log in to the UMass Campus Health Hub with your NetID and password to view and select available appointments. To schedule the appointment:
- Go to: Book an Appointment
- Click: Walk-In
- Choose the date and click next
- Select a 30-minute time slot
The testing process will take approximately five minutes (registration and test).
For people getting tested twice a week, we recommend a Monday/Thursday or Tuesday/Friday schedule.
Step 2: Go to the Testing Location
Make sure you have an appointment scheduled before arriving at the testing location and bring your campus ID. Masks, hand hygiene, and social distancing are required at all times while in the testing center.
Go the front entrance of the Mullins Center, 200 Commonwealth Avenue, Amherst MA, 01003
Step 3: Get Your Test Results
Your test results will be ready in 24 to 36 hours.
Individuals who test negative will be notified via email from Careevolve@lknotification.com. You will need to register and log in to a secure portal to get your results.
Individuals who test positive will receive a call from a UMass Amherst public health nurse, who will explain further steps. Individuals who test positive will be required to isolate in accordance with the guidelines of the federal Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and state public health authorities. We will help you every step of the way.
Daily symptom monitoring and testing will occur throughout the semester. Students, faculty and staff shall conduct a daily self-screening, and those with any COVID-19 symptoms, living either on or off-campus, will be expected to report those symptoms to University Health Services (UHS).
Close contacts with a COVID-19 positive individual will also be promptly tested. Infection rates will be monitored on campus and in the Amherst area.
How to do the Daily Self-Check
The Daily Self-Check should be conducted before coming to campus or leaving a residential hall each day.
STUDENTS will access the Campus Health Hub to conduct their Daily Self-Check, and if you have a new symptom of COVID-19, text SYMPTOM to 413-944-8562.
You’ll receive a link to self schedule an appointment for COVID-19 testing on the UHS Patient Portal. Log in or create an account, click the APPTS tab, and follow instructions to schedule your appointment. When it’s time for your appointment, go to the UHS Respiratory Clinic. For more information, visit umass.edu/uhs/covid-19-testing.
- Step 1: Stay Home, and call your supervisor
- Step 2: Call or email the COVID-19 HR Response Team at 413-687-2283 or COVID19HR@umass.edu.
Information about the daily screening will remain private. The data is not stored on the app.