COVID-19 Testing Programs
Updated Nov. 29, 2021
TESTING LOCATIONS AND HOURS
OBSERVED TESTING is available at the Public Health Promotion Center on the lower level of the Campus Center:
- Monday – Thursday 9 a.m. – 4 p.m.
- Friday 9 a.m.
Kits for UNOBSERVED TESTING can be picked up at these locations, on and off-campus:
Public Health Promotion Center on the lower level of the Campus Center
- Monday – Thursday 9 a.m. – 4 p.m.
- Friday 9 a.m. – Noon C
University Health Services, at the rear of the building
- Monday – Friday, 8:30 a.m. – 4 p.m.
- Saturday and Sunday, 11 a.m. – 4 p.m.
Bangs Community Center, 70 Boltwood Walk in the center of Amherst
- Monday – Friday, 10 a.m. – 2 p.m.
Jones Library, 43 Amy Street in the center of Amherst
- Pickup at the adult circulation desk during regular library hours
Completed test kits can be returned to these drop boxes open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week:
- Outside Mullins Center, near the ATM
- University Health Services, at rear of building
- Campus Center, main floor, near the top of the escalators
- Bangs Community Center, outside
Results from tests done in person or dropped off in a box on Monday through Thursday are ready within 24-48 hours. Results from tests done on Friday through Sunday are ready the following Monday evening or Tuesday.
Remember, observed testing at the PHPC is for individuals without symptoms. Do not show up at the PHPC if you have symptoms. If you have COVID-19 symptoms, please visit University Health Services where daily asymptomatic testing is available.
Asymptomatic Testing for Fall 2021
There is no charge for testing
- Students who have an approved COVID-19 vaccine medical or religious exemption are required to be tested twice a week.
- Faculty and staff who have an approved COVID-19 vaccine medical or religious exemption are required to be tested once a week.
Vaccinated and unvaccinated students, staff and faculty should test immediately whenever they are concerned about COVID-19 symptoms or when exposed to COVID-19. Individuals need to test within three to five days after exposure. Whenever you are feeling ill, you must self-isolate until you get your test results. The university’s free COVID-19 testing program continues to be available to fully vaccinated individuals. For students who are in the process of getting fully vaccinated they should get tested twice a week until two weeks after their second dose.
Students, faculty and staff who are in the process of getting fully vaccinated should get tested once a week until two weeks after their second dose.
COVID-19 testing is also available to any vaccinated faculty, staff or students who choose to get tested at their own discretion.
How to Get Tested
Options for testing:
- Unobserved testing: Pick up a testing kit at the Public Health Promotion Center in the Campus Center or at University Health Services and drop off a completed kit at any of the drop boxes located on or off-campus. Drop boxes are open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
- Campus Center, near the top of the escalators
- Outside of Mullins Center, near the Bank of America ATM and bicycle racks
- Outside of University Health Services, at the rear of the building
- Bangs Community Center in the center of Amherst
- Observed asymptomatic testing is available at the Public Health Promotion Center in the Campus Center and at University Health Services, during limited hours
- University Health Services also has symptomatic testing by appointment. Your health insurance will be billed for testing and care you receive at UHS.
Testing for Local Community Members
UMass continues to serve as a testing location for Massachusetts. Adults and children ages 2 and older without symptoms of COVID-19 are eligible for testing either on a walk-in basis at the Public Health Promotion Center or by picking up an unobserved testing kit at the PHPC and returning to one of the drop boxes located on and off-campus. Individuals with any COVID-19 symptoms, should not come to the PHPC. They should make an appointment with their physician for testing.
Pick up a testing kit at the PHPC in the Campus Center, test yourself, and drop off your kit at one of the three designated campus locations.
Steps for Unobserved Testing:
- Pick up a test kit at the PHPC on the first floor of the Campus Center when the PHPC is open
- Follow directions inside the kit
- Test correctly: Swab each nostril slowly in a circular motion for 10 seconds
- Label kit: Label your test tube CLEARLY with your name, date of birth and, if you're a UMass student or employee, your SPIRE ID
- Seal kit: Make sure your kit is properly sealed and closed before putting it in the dropbox
- Drop your sealed kit in the boxes available at:
• Campus Center 2nd Floor
• Outside of Mullins Center, near the Bank of America ATM
• University Health Services
- Scan QR Code: Scan the QR code on the drop box to confirm your kit is ready for pick-up
How to Get Your Test Results
Results from tests done on Monday through Thursday are ready within 24-48 hours. Results from tests done on Friday through Sunday are ready the following Monday evening or Tuesday.
If you test POSITIVE, you will receive a call from a UMass Amherst public health nurse who will explain further steps. All individuals who test positive are required to isolate in accordance with the guidelines of the federal Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and state public health authorities. We will help you every step of the way.
If You Test Positive for COVID-19
Regardless of your vaccination status, if you test positive you must isolate for 10 days. If you test positive using UMass testing facilities, a UMass public health case manager will call and give you specific instructions. If you test positive through a different facility, isolate in place and report your results to the Public Health Promotion Center immediately at firstname.lastname@example.org.