Surplus Equipment

The University’s Office of Waste Management (OWM) is responsible for the collection and disposal of unwanted furniture and equipment that has a value of less that $100.00 or scrap/junk equipment of any value. Equipment with a value of greater than $100.00 can be transferred to another University department or sold by a Public Bid through the Procurement Department. See instructions below for each type of equipment and furniture.

Disposal of Equipment or Furniture valued at less than $100.00

Please use the Office of Waste Management (OWM) Surplus Equipment Disposal Policy and Form. This form allows University departments to transfer title to unusable (junk) equipment and furniture valued at less than $100.00 to the OWM. OWM will in turn decide if the equipment/furniture is usable at any other University department or can be donated to another source.

If you have any questions concerning this procedure please call John Pepi, General Manager of OWM at 413.577.3013.

Sale of Equipment or Furniture Valued at greater than $100.00

Please use the Controller's Office procedure for sale of equipment. This procedure gives instructions and specific forms to allow the sale of unused equipment.

If you have any questions concerning this procedure please call Joanne Wheeler, at 413.545.1430.

Procedure for Sale of Surplus Equipment

  1. Department identifies equipment as surplus to their department heads
  2. Department fills out Surplus Equipment Sale Form and forwards to the Controller's Office.
  3. A copy of the form is sent to the Property Office to verify the information.
  4. Controller's Office determines if equipment can be utilized by another UMA department.
  5. If equipment can be utilized by other departments a fair market value is assigned. Information is posted on to the Controller's Office web-site under surplus equipment for at least 30 days. Equipment is available to all UMA Departments during this period.
  6. If another department is interested in the equipment, they can contact the Controller's Office. The Procurement Department will process a transfer request and arrange for the transfer. Copy of transfer request goes to the UMass Property Management Office.
  7. If equipment is not suitable for use by other departments, or if equipment is listed on the Controller's Office web-site and no department expresses interest within 30-days, the equipment will be listed on the web-site for sale to the public across the United States and Canada.
  8. is an online auction platform that many government agencies utilize to auction surplus property to the public. Only government agencies can auction items on Municibid and bidding is open to the public across the United States and Canada. To access the site simply go to:
  9. Advertising in the Hampshire Gazette will be determined by the Controller's Office. The advertising costs will be passed on to the department(s) listing equipment in the advertised bid.
  10. Controller's Office will open all sealed bids received prior to the date and time specified in the bid from All bids will be public bids and any interested party may attend the bid opening and/or inspect the bid responses.
  11. Controller's Office will make an award to the highest responsible bidder that meets or exceeds the minimum bid listed for each item or category listed in the bid. All items not bid on, or not receiving a bid that at least equals the minimum amount listed will be disposed of for scrap value or held until the next surplus equipment bid at the discretion of the Controller's Office.
  12. A letter will be sent to the vendor/individual that receives the award with instructions on how to pay and where to pick up their purchase. A bill of sale will be provided to all successful bidders upon payment of their purchase.
  13. All items must be picked up within 14 days of notification unless other arrangements have been made with the Controller's Office. All monies received for the surplus equipment will be deposited in the designated departmental fund that is shown on the surplus equipment form. Any funds for surplus equipment, such as scrap metals, that cannot be identified with a specific department will be deposited in the University general fund or other fund as designated by the Vice-Chancellor of A&F for such purposes.
  14. The Controller's Office will complete the surplus equipment form and supply a copy to the originating department and the UMass Property Management Office. The original form will be held in the Controller's Office files.
  15. The Procurement Department will maintain a file on all equipment disposed of for review by all interested parties for a period a least equal to what is defined by Massachusetts record retention requirements.

Internal Transfer of Surplus Equipment

Items that are used and in good operating condition will be listed here, if any. Any Department interested in obtaining any of these items should send an email with the number requested to Joanne Wheeler of the Controller's Office.

The cost listed for each item will be charged against your department budget so please provide a chartstring that can be used if you are successful in being awarded any of these items. You will receive a response to your email alerting you of whether or not you will receive the requested items.

No items are currently available.

Public Sale of Surplus Vehicles and Miscellaneous Items

Surplus Vehicles and other Miscellaneous Items that are surplus to the needs of the University of Massachusetts Amherst and are herby offered for sale to the general public. All items can be veiwed on , items are offered “as is” and “where is” to the highest bidder. The University makes no representations regarding the suitability of these items for any purpose nor does the University make any representation regarding any lien or legal impediment accruing to these items. The Successful Bidder is responsible for the removal and transportation of sold surplus equipment from its location on the University property. The University assumes no condition of the equipment either before the sale of thereafter.

The University of Massachusetts Amherst utilizes to receive all bid responses. is an online auction platform that many government agencies utilize to auction surplus property to the public. Only government agencies can auction items on and bidding is open to the public across the United States and Canada. To register and access the site go to:  

All bids must be in U.S. Dollars.

Bidders are not required to bid on every item offered.

The University reserves the right to reject any or all bids or parts thereof, if deemed in the best interests of the University and may decide not to make an award on any individual item or combination of items.

Arrangement for viewing the property can be made by contacting the name and phone number indicated on the item(s) listed. Any questions regarding bidding procedures should be addressed to: Joanne Wheeler; Controller's Office at: (413) 545-1430 @ E-mail: wheeler [at]

The successful bidders will be notified of their awards via E-mail or where E-mail addresses are not available, via regular mail. Payment in the form of a certified check, official bank treasurer’s check or money order made payable to the University of Massachusetts Amherst must be received prior to the removal of the equipment. Payment will be made to:

University of Massachusetts
Controller's Office Mass Venture Center - Suite 201
100 Venture Way Hadley, MA 01035-9430

Removal must be made on or before the date noted in the solicitation.

If any bidder fails to pay for and/or remove the item(s) by the day noted in the RFB, the University reserves the right to award the item(s) to the next highest bidder without recourse. Non-compliance with either or both of these items will result in the removal of the bidder’s name as an eligible bidder on any future sale for a period of one year.