Departmental FAQs

Please refer to the Trustee Business Expense Policy to determine whether your expense is reimbursable: Trustee Business Expense Coc. T92-031 (Appendix C)

All reimbursements require original receipts showing proof of payment. Proof of payment includes and is not limited to; bank/credit card statements (redact account numbers before submitting), original airline ticket or e-ticket stating payment, and original cancelled check. If originals are not received it becomes a tax issue and you a will receive a tax form (1099) at the end of the year.Reimbursements are "frowned upon" and payments should go directly through the procurement process.


Checks are created generally on Tuesdays and Thursday. Checks are mailed the next business day unless A/P is notified that a special arrangement is needed. The check schedule is subject to change without notification.

A/P Only Pays Current Charges and Requires Original Invoices

Invoices reflect the charges for the current billing period. Statements do not have the information needed to "back-up" the charges and generally represent a different period in time. Paying current charges gives the A/P office and departments the ability to easily track payments and avoid possible complications to the billing process.

Originals are required by the federal and state auditors. Copies should not be used (with some exceptions) for payment in A/P.  Paying off copies can lead to duplicate payments.

We Do Not Pay Late Fees

As a general rule, A/P will not pay late fees. However, if the vendor wants late fee payment they must compute the late fee based on the Comptroller's Memo FY #2011-07 Late Penalty Interest Rate.

Under the provisions of M.G.L. c.29, s.29...C815 CMR 4.00

Taxes We Pay

Following are the taxes A/P will pay:

  • Mass Sales Tax - Non-Employee reimbursement (individual)
  • Mass Meals Tax - Reimbursment to an Employee Only (Business Expense Form)
  • Out of State Sales/Meal Tax (unless the University has a reciprocal agreement)*
  • Hotel Tax - City tax, State tax, Town tax
  • Room tax
  • Gas and  Fuel Taxes
  • Airfare Tax

* Out-of-State Sales/Meals Tax: If an out-of-state vendor charges us their state's sales tax and we have a reciprocal agreement with the state, we may be exempt. Please check with the Controller's Office for states that the University has obtained reciprocal agreements.

Taxes We Do Not Pay

  • Mass Sales Tax on goods - Vendor Payment (when using a university payment instrument) or Employee reimbursement only when an employee is in travel status
  • Mass Meals Tax - Vendor payment (when using a university payment instrument)
  • Mass State Excise Tax
  • Property Tax
  • Cell Phone Sales tax

Blanket Purchase Orders Over $1,000

A/P requires a departmental signature when the invoice is being paid on a blanket purchase order for more than $1,000.00.

Invoices to Individuals Over $10,000

A/P requires a contract for services when the invoice is paying for services to an individual for $10,000.00 or more.

Student Payments

Student Payments