- What are Chartfields and Chartfield Strings?
- How to Request a New Chartstring
- How to Inactivate a Chartstring
- Signature Delegation
- Items needed when Department Head Changes
Chartfields are attributes in a Chart of Accounts. Chartfields make up a Chartfield String. A Chartfield String is used to define, identify, categorize and sort transactions.
The following Chartfields are used for Amherst Chartstrings:
- Fund - Type of Funding (Ex. State, GOF, RTF etc.)
- Department - Used to track information according to a divisional breakdown
- Department Level DeptID's ending in 00000
- Sub Department Level DeptID's ending in 000
- PI DeptID's ending with 001 - 999
- Program - Used to identify goups of related activities. The UMass Amherst Program Code is a combination of the NACUBO code and the A21 Code.
- Class - Optional field, used to further breakdown type of activity.
- Project ID - Used to track Sponsored and Non-Sponsored Projects.
To request a new chartstring, use the Chartstring Create New Request Form. Complete it and send it either:
- by campus mail to the Controller's Office, Attention: Chartfield Maintenance
- or by email to chartstr [at] admin.umass.edu (if signed form needed please scan and send)
To inactivate a Chartstring, make sure the Chartstring is no longer used for:
- Recharges (Example: Telephone, Mail etc.)
- Open Purchase Orders or Requisitions
- Procard or Travel Card
The following balances should be brought to zero depending on fund type:
- Budget Balance
- Liabilities (All Funds for Accounts starting with 2XXXXX)
- Fund Balance
- Other Balance Sheet Balances (All Funds for Accounts: 110001 to 299999)
The Controller's Office will clear off Fund Balances for the following funds:
- 11000 - State
- 51006 - Tuition Retention
- 51342 - GOF
- 52129 - Research Trust Fund
In accordance with University policy, the Responsible Signature Authority (DeptID Manager/PI) has the prime responsibility for authorization of expenditures for his/her DeptID’s. The Responsible Signature Authority listed on a DeptID may delegate Signature Authority to another staff member (Students cannot receive signature delegation). Listed below are the two Signature Delegation Forms and their use:
- Signature Delegation for Non-Sponsored Chartstrings
- Use with Departmental / Sub Departmental Level Chartstrings (DeptID's ending in 000)
- Use with Non-Sponsored Chartstrings (these are Chartstrings that do not have a Project starting with "S").
- Signature Delegation for Sponsored Chartstrings
- Use with PI DeptID's (DeptID's ending with 001 - 999), this delegation will also cover Non-Sponsored Chartstrings under the PI DeptID
- Use with Sponsored Project Chartstrings (these are Chartstrings that have Projects starting with "S" and Funds starting with 53XXX)
- OWL training for Cost Allowability for Sponsored Grants must be completed before the signature delegation is granted.
- The Manager listed on a DeptID is the only person that can give Signature Delegation. A delegate cannot give out Signature Delegation in place of the manager.
- On the Sponsored Project Delegation - be sure that the PI initials the areas of delegation (do not place checks or X next to this area).
- Signature Delegation does not replace the manager listed on a DeptID. Please use the Department ID Manager Change Request Form if the manager is changing (Ex. New Department Head/Chair).
If a Department Head is changing, submit the following forms:
- Department ID Manager Change Request Form
- Signature Delegation Termination Form for out going Department Head
- Signature Delegation Form for Non-Sponsored Chartstrings for new Department Head.