HFA - College of Humanities & Fine Arts view HFA submenu

Translation & Interpreting Studies

The Master of Arts in Translation and Interpreting Studies is a separate track of the M.A. in Comparative Literature. Thirty-three credits are required. The degree can be completed in one year, with two semesters of 4-5 courses each (27 credits) and a summer spent writing the thesis/final project (6 credits), but most students take two years, taking three courses each for the first three semesters and a final semester with the thesis/project. A minimum of two languages are required (one may be English). Students in the program will acquire expertise in practical techniques and strategies of translation as well as a rigorous understanding of the theoretical and cultural stakes of the field.

The Translation and Interpreting Studies Certificate is designed for UMass undergraduates and graduate students. While no prior experience in interpreting or translation is necessary, students must have a strong command of English and at least one other language. The certificate program will introduce students to relevant research in the inter-disciplinary area of interpreting and translation studies and to a number of practical skills required of professional interpreters and translators. Interpreting and translation will be viewed throughout the course as socio-cultural as well as linguistic activities. The social, cultural and ethical complexities of the role of interpreters and translators will therefore be an important focus of the certificate. This certificate serves as basic preparation for future studies in related fields, teaching and/or professional work in the field of translation and interpreting. Undergraduate students must complete six courses or 18 credits, including two required courses in Translation and Interpreting Studies (CompLit 581 and 582); two 300 level or above courses in any subject where substantial writing in English is required; and two courses, also 300 level or above, in at least one language other than English. MA and PhD students are required to take CompLit 581 and all undergraduate students must complete both CompLit 581 and 582 to earn the certificate. Residency abroad or a high level of competency in a language other than English can replace the non-English language courses.