As the primary liaison between the campus and community, the Office of External Relations and University Events engages with dozens of community groups both formally and informally. The university is committed to being a good neighbor and committed to developing and maintaining community partnerships that support area citizens, businesses, and organizations.
Serving the Community
The Office of External Relations engages in community building activities that serve to inform and engage community members about university planning, events, and other pertinent information. As active members of boards of directors in several neighborhood and non-profit organizations, we are conduits for information to bring back to the university community for wider support, participation, discussion.
We serve as board members for the following nonprofit organizations:
- The Amherst Area Chamber of Commerce
- The Amherst Business Improvement District
- Amherst Baseball, Inc.
- Hampshire County Regional Tourism Council
- Hampshire County Regional Economic Agenda
- Friends of the UMass Fine Arts Center
- The Hitchcock Center for the Environment
- The John P. Musante Health Center
- WGBY Board of Tribunes
We serve on committees for the following nonprofit organizations and community initiatives:
- Amherst Education Foundation
- Amherst Public Arts Commission
- Celebrate Amherst Block Party Planning Committee
- Cooley Dickinson Hospital Community Relations Committee
- Friends of the Amherst Boys and Girls Club
- Merry Maple Celebration
- The Jones Library Benefit Committee
- The Taste of Amherst Planning Committee
- The United Way of Hampshire County
- WinterFest Amherst Committee
From the 2015 Celebrate Amherst Block Party. UMass Amherst is a BID partner and helps in the planning of the event.
We participate in and provide sponsorship support for community organized events and promotions such as:
- Celebrate Amherst Block Party
- The Taste of Amherst
- Family Outreach of Amherst Light Up the Night
- Family Outreach of Amherst Warm Up the Night
Through these affiliations and events, we continue to support and sustain the development of a vibrant community that serves the needs of students, faculty, staff, neighbors, residents, and visitors.