Undergrad questions answered here

Answers to questions about ...

Joining to the Communication major
Faculty and professional advisors
General Education requirements
Peer advising
Study abroad and domestic exchange

Joining to the Communication major

Q. How can I join the Comm major?
A. All students in good academic standing are welcome to join the Comm major. Interested students are encouraged to take at least 1 100-level intro course prior to joining the major in order to better understand the content of the major. All interested students MUST attend an info session prior to joining the major. Info session dates are listed on our website. Students must RSVP for info sessions and complete the statement of interest in order to join the major. Info sessions are held multiple times throughout the semester. 

Q. When and where are the info sessions?
A. Info sessions will be held multiple times throughout the semester. All dates will be posted on the Comm website and in the Comm Connection. Upon receipt of RSVP for info session, room location will be shared.

Q. Who do I see for questions about joining the major?
A. All interested students are encouraged to meet with a Comm Peer Advisor for information about joining the major. Students not in good academic standing or students with concerns they would like to discuss individually are encouraged to meet with Comm CUA Allison Butler. Please note: an individual advising meeting will not substitute for info session attendance.

Q. What pre-requisites do I need to join the major?
A. Students do not need to complete any pre-requisites before joining the major. However, all interested students are encouraged to take at least 1 100-level intro course in order to become familiar with the content of the major.

Q. How do I know when I'm in the major?
A. After attending the required info sessions, students will be enrolled in the major. They should see it in their Academic Requirements Record within 24 hours of info session attendance.

For more information see the Admission page of this website.

Faculty and professional advisors

Q. Who is my advisor?
A. Your advisor’s name and contact information can be found at the bottom right-hand corner of your SPIRE Student Center page. 

Q. How can I find my advisor?
A. To see your advisor, please make an appointment.

Q. How can my advisor help me?
A. Professional advisors can help you with course selection, checking your progress toward fulfilling major requirements, exploring academic and career opportunities, sponsoring an internship, and providing referrals to other campus offices. Professional advisers can also help with study abroad, domestic exchange, and transfer credits. Book an appointment with an advisor.

General Education requirements

Q. Can I use Communication courses to fulfill the General Education requirement?
A. You can count one course toward both your Gen Ed and major requirements.


Q. How can I check on my progress toward graduation?
A. Meet with your advisor to review your Academic Requirements Report (SPIRE), or drop by the Comm Undergraduate Advising Office, N323 ILC, to meet with a peer advisor. Either one can help you determine which requirements you still need to fulfill and then help you plan your courses.


Q. How do I get an internship?
A. Internship information sessions are held each semester in the Department of Communication. We also encourage you to visit the Internship Office, 511 Goodell, to speak with an advisor and access the database of available internships, or click on the Internship page of the Career Services website. If you need help finding a faculty sponsor, contact your advisor for help.

Q. Can I get Communication credit for an internship?
A. Internship credits can count toward the overall 120 university credits you need to graduate, but not toward your Comm credits. Sorry, no exceptions.

Q. Whom can I see for questions about internships?
A. Please visit the Internship Office, 511 Goodell. See the Career Services website.

For more information, see the Internships page of this website.


Q. Can I minor in Communication?
A. The Communication department does not offer a minor in Communication.

Peer advising

Q. What do peer advisors do?
A. Peer advisors are departmental leaders trained in advising, helping skills, and the requirements and opportunities available in the department and across campus. Learn more about who they are and how they can help you here. 

Q. How can I become a peer advisor?
A. Peer advisors are selected each spring for the next fall. Learn more here.

Study abroad and domestic exchange

Q. Can I work on my Communication requirements while studying abroad or on domestic exchange?
A. With prior approval, some courses taken while studying abroad or on domestic exchange can fulfill Comm requirements. To get an answer about a particular course make an appointment with one of the professional advisors through Appointment Plus.

To learn more, visit the Study Abroad and Domestic Exchange page.