Thursday, May 7 through Saturday, May 9, 2020, UMass Amherst welcomes thousands of graduates, families, friends, faculty, and guests to campus for Undergraduate Commencement, Commissioning, and Senior Recognition Ceremonies.
On Friday, May 8, expect heavy traffic beginning around 1 p.m. and lasting until around 8 pm. Please plan to arrive on campus by 2 p.m., park, then take a shuttle or walk to the stadium. If you are arriving on campus to attend a senior recognition ceremony before the Undergraduate Commencement, please park once, enjoy the ceremony, and then take the shuttle or walk to McGuirk Alumni Stadium.
- Your parking site will be determined by where and when you enter campus.
- Please park as instructed by police officers and be sure to note your lot number and spot location.
- Expect significant delays to begin two hours before the ceremony.
- To expedite traffic flow local road closures and detours will be in effect by 1 p.m. and detours will be marked with signs.
- Guests with disabilities or limited mobility are encouraged to contact Disability Services at 413-545-0892 or visit Accessibility page for additional support/services.
- Call 413-577-1101 for information on parking an RV on campus.
We look forward to having you on campus and celebrating with our graduating seniors!
Free shuttle buses will make frequent runs to and from the stadium from 2:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m on Friday, May 8 and from 7:30 a.m. to 7:30 p.m. on Saturday, May 9. Allow 45 minutes to park and travel to the stadium. If you attend an event before the Undergraduate Commencement, please do not attempt to move your vehicle to a different parking lot and travel by shuttle buses instead.
- See Shuttles and Campus Maps for details on how parking and shuttle buses during the ceremonies.
Guests with HP plates/placards or drivers escorting guests with limited mobility may complete the Reserved Accessible Parking Form by April 17 to request the closest parking available to the stadium (those wo submit the form will receive an email confirmation of their parking request and a parking pass with information will be mailed to their address). Golf carts will be available near the reserved accessible parking area before and after the ceremony to assist guests with limited mobility get to and from the stadium and parking area. Spaces are limited and preference will be given to those with HP plates/placards who register first. Guests with limited mobility can also be dropped off at one of the designated bus stops regularly serviced by shuttle buses.
Senior Recognition Ceremonies:
Guests attending Senior Recognition Ceremony are also encouraged to complete the Reserved Accessible Parking Form. When arriving on campus guests will be directed to the HP lot closest to the venue of their graduate's ceremony (please visit the website for your graduates Senior Recognition Ceremony for details on location and parking). At the conclusion of your Senior Recognition Ceremony, guests with limited mobility have the choice to take public transportation to the stadium or to take their own vehicles and be directed to accessible parking area. Please note, due to increased traffic, travel between venues will take extra time.
- See Accessibility or call 413-545-2086 for information on parking for those with disabilities.
From the South, via I-91 North
Travelers have a choice of two routes:
- Off Exit 19 in Northampton: From the exit ramp, turn right onto Route 9 and go approximately 4.5 miles to Route 116 North. Turn left onto 116 and go one mile to the UMass Exit
- Off Exit 24 in Deerfield: At the stop sign at the top of the ramp, turn right (north) onto Routes U.S. 5/10/116, and immediately turn right again at the traffic lights onto Route 116 South and follow it for eight miles where officers will direct you to graduation.
From the North, via I-91 South
Follow I-91 to Exit 25 in Deerfield. At the end of the ramp turn left and follow the road to the intersection. Turn right onto Routes 5 & 10 South. Go one mile, turn left onto Route 116 South and follow it for eight miles where officers will direct you to graduation.
From the North, via I-93 South
Follow I-93 to I-495 South. Follow to Route 2 West. Continue on Route 2 to U.S. 202 South. Follow for about 15 miles to the blinking light at the Pelham exit marked “Route 9 and 116 Amherst.” Turn right and follow for seven miles to Amherst center. Follow signs to UMass. Because of bridge construction on Pelham Road in Amherst, drivers will experience delays along this route. Please plan your trip accordingly.
From the East or West, via I-90
Travelers have a choice of four routes:
- Off Exit 8 (Palmer/Ware): Follow Route 32 South to Palmer; take Route 20 West to Route 181 North into Belchertown, and then Route 9 West to Amherst. Follow signs to UMass.
- Off Exit 7 (Ludlow): Follow Route 21 North to U.S. 202 North to Route 9 West to Amherst center. Follow signs to UMass.
- Off Exit 5 (Chicopee): Follow Route 33 North to Route 116 North to Amherst center. Turn left at the light onto Route 9 West. Follow signs to UMass.
- Off Exit 4 (West Springfield): I-91 North to Exit 19 to Route 9 East to Amherst. Follow signs to UMass.
Following the Commencement ceremony, all shuttle buses will continue operating until 8:00 p.m. Those wishing to return to residence halls after Commencement may do so only under the direction of police officers. University Police will direct exiting vehicles along designated routes:
- From Blue Lot 44: East Pleasant Street to Amherst center, North Amherst, Route 116, and Interstates 90 and 91.
- From Blue Lots 26, 31, and 45: North Pleasant Street to North Amherst and routes 116 and Interstate 91.
- From Red Lots 32, 34, and 71: North Pleasant Street to Amherst Center and routes 9 and 116.
- From Green or Purple Lots 11, 22, 33, 21, 25, and 12: Massachusetts Avenue to routes 116, 9, and Interstate 91.