The UMass Amherst Upward Bound Program is a year-long college preparatory program for first generation and/or low income high school students from Springfield, MA. Upward Bound is a social justice-based program; we acknowledge the barriers that face our students due to issues of race, class, gender, sexual orientation, ability and other differences. Upward Bound is an intentionally inclusive program that recognizes and celebrates diversity. Our program is committed to providing our students opportunities to access higher education.
The Summer Institute is a 6-week residential experience hosted at UMass Amherst for 40 – 60 high school students. The Summer Institute is designed to expose students to a college-like experience that supports the positive academic, emotional, and personal development of our students in preparation for success in college and life afterwards. The Summer Institute provides participants with the experience of living on a college campus; taking academic courses, engaging in artistic, musical and other fun and educational activities as well as preparing for college and career success. Upward Bound students will participate in programming that will include: mentoring and tutoring, academic advising, social justice based themes and workshops, college positive student panels, development of time management and critical thinking skills.
Upward Bound is looking for energetic, team-orientated people from many academic disciplines that enjoy working with young people. The summer program is intensive, and challenging; potential candidates should expect a fast-paced and dynamic workplace. Housing and meals will be provided for all staff members June 23rd – August 10th. Staff will be expected to move in Sunday, June 23rd. Training will be provided.
- Administer and manage daily operations of the summer residential program for 40-60 Upward Bound Scholars.
- Supervise 4 AmeriCorp Team Leaders and 6 Tutor/Mentors. This includes managing staffing and work schedules.
- Coordinate all Upward Bound Scholar activities with Director and Assistant Directors.
- Live on campus and provide 24- hour LIVE – IN supervision to Upward Bound Scholars Sunday through Friday for six weeks at UMass Amherst.
- Create and maintain a positive, productive, safe and harmonious living environment for students and staff throughout an intensive six-week summer institute.
- Plan and supervise day and night duty as assigned by the Program Director and Assistant Directors.
- Plan and coordinate cross-curricular and recreational programming, including the activities for the positive climate and behavioral supports program.
- Attend, monitor, and participate in daily meals.
- Assist in chaperoning all field trips, cultural and recreational activities, as needed.
- Attend staff development activities, weekly staff meetings, and student assemblies.
- Prepare and submit written evaluations of staff, students and summer program.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree required. Graduate students welcome.
- Experience managing residential educational experiences for high school students.
- Experience in an Upward Bound/TRiO or in similar academic/summer residential programs as participant, staff, or in residential life.
- Commitment to social justice and the educational philosophy of Upward Bound.
- Knowledge of factors affecting student access and success in higher education, including those affecting marginalized students, students from diverse backgrounds, and students with disabilities.
- Experience managing staff, and building a positive, team-oriented environment.
- Demonstrated attention to detail and ability to meet deadlines. Must be organized, communicate effectively, demonstrate a professional attitude and ability to work well under pressure.
- Experience engaging with urban high school aged youth. Knowledge of and experience in using positive approaches to behavioural management with high school aged students preferred.
- Knowledge of theories of positive behavioral support, student development and cultural competency preferred.
6 week summer program in July and early August
Mandatory Staff Orientation and Training 1 week in late June
Compensation: $3,660 includes meals and housing for the period of employment.
Please provide a letter of intent and your resume. In your letter of intent, please address the questions listed below:
- Why are you interested in working with UMass Upward Bound as the Residential Supervisor?
- What skills and strengths do you have that would support your success in this position?
- What roles do you think race and class play in terms of access to higher education in the U.S.?
- Please describe your experience working with high-school students.
We will contact you and confirm the receipt of the materials. Upon review of the submission, we will contact you if you have been determined to be a finalist and provide you with an application form and request additional information including a list of references. Interviews will be conducted upon review of the application and additional materials, if appropriate. Early applications will receive priority. We will review applicants on a rolling basis until the position is filled.
UMASS UPWARD BOUND WILL CONDUCT A BACKGROUND
(CORI/SORI) REVIEW PER UMASS AMHERST REQUIREMENTS
Submit all materials at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please email us ONE (1) PDF document including ALL requested information in your email attachment.