To advocate for and advance the personal growth, academic and professional success of diverse populations on campus through courageous, inclusive and supportive programs and services.
CMASS respects and values diversity in its many forms. By creating an inclusive, student-centered community we share the fundamental belief in the value of educationally purposeful learning and its ability to transform lives. We fulfill our values through:
Diversity, Multiculturalism and Social Justice:
- Fostering a commitment to service students of color and other marginalized groups.
- Engaging the campus community in cross-cultural and intra-group dialogues to increase and gain new knowledge related to diversity and social justice.
- Promoting activities and programs that are socially just, and supportive of a diverse and multicultural community.
- Engaging students in transformative learning through personal growth, inclusive, intentional and innovative co-curricular experiences.
- Promoting cultural, social, academic and creative expressions where students gain a deeper understanding of their own skills, capacities and competencies, especially the development of critical thinking skills.
- Challenging previously held beliefs and assumptions by assisting students to create a more comprehensive perspective of society.
- Creating opportunities to provide interactive learning opportunities that allow students to author his/her blueprint for life beyond college.
- Promoting leadership models that include and respect the individual, group and community.
- Empowering students to become effective and active change agents.
- Fostering collaboration with other departments and campus constituents to continuously invest in acknowledging and building a diverse campus.
- Building relationships with community partners and surrounding schools to increase their awareness of CMASS while attracting more underrepresented minority, multiracial and/or first-generation students to attend UMass Amherst.