The University of Massachusetts Amherst
HFA - College of Humanities & Fine Arts view HFA submenu

Post-baccalaureate Programs

A post-baccalaureate (post-bacc) is a program for students who have already earned a baccalaureate degree (such as a BA or BS). Most post-baccs, which are usually credential/certificate-granting non-degree programs, take only one or two years to complete. Students enroll in post-bacc programs with a variety of educational and professional goals, for example:

  • to continue their studies for personal satisfaction and intellectual growth;
  • to sharpen their research, writing, and/or language skills;
  • to augment their studies while deciding whether to apply for professional or graduate programs (e.g., MA, MAT, PhD);
  • to complete prerequisite courses for admission to professional or graduate programs.

The structure and costs of post-bacc programs in Classics (and other fields) vary considerably. Some programs have a fixed curriculum, meaning that students must take certain classes; other programs offer flexible curricula based on individual interests and needs. Some have fixed costs per academic term, while others have tuition based on the number of credit hours students choose to take. Some post-baccs can cost nearly $10,000 per semester for just two classes (not including room & board); others can cost less. The amount and type of financial aid available also varies a lot. It’s important for you to do your research to see whether pursuing a post-bacc is right for you and, if so, which program might be the best fit.

Post-baccalaureate programs in Classics

Below are links to many of the post-baccs in Classical Studies, Greek, and Latin.