Phase II: Academic Year 2013-2014
During the 2013–2014 academic year, JTFSO built on the Phase I report in the following ways:
Implementation of Phase I Recommendations
The Phase I report included many specific recommendations consistent with the broader planning goals that can be implemented immediately or relatively quickly. These have been identified and assigned to the appropriate offices or individuals for follow-up.
Developmental Planning at the Campus Level
The Phase I document highlighted key goals requiring in-depth follow-up planning to flesh out campus priorities and direction. These developmental plans will carry forward the goals established in Phase I and help set the stage for unit planning in Phase III (see below).
Major developmental planning efforts now underway include:
- Consideration of alternatives to the campus incremental budgeting process (assigned to the Joint Task Force on Resource Allocation).
- Defining the distinctive character of a UMass Amherst undergraduate education (assigned to a special subcommittee of JTFSO).
- Developing a unified strategy for student success (assigned to the vice provost for Undergraduate and Continuing Education and the vice chancellor for Student Affairs and Campus Life).
- Recalibrating the campus enrollment strategy (assigned to Provost’s Office and the Budget Office).
- Expanding support for curricular innovation (assigned to the vice provost for Undergraduate and Continuing Education and the chief information officer).
- Organizing outreach activities for maximum impact (assigned to a special subcommittee of JTFSO).
- Developing a strategic plan for information technology (assigned to the chief information officer).
In addition, JTFSO collaborated with the chancellor’s Diversity Advisory Council to highlight opportunities in all these areas to promote diversity, inclusion, and access.