Transformative learning, community impact.
IMPACT is a service-learning Residential Academic Program for first-year students. Through this yearlong program, students live and learn in a residence hall while engaging in off-campus community service. Students explore ways to make a positive impact on the larger community around UMass—and to find a place as part of that community. IMPACT strives to create a holistic experience for students by integrating community service, contemplative practice, social justice, and leadership in the classroom, on campus and beyond.
- Have a deeper understanding of your core values in the context of social justice theory and beyond
- Identify historic and present forms of power, privilege, and oppression on an individual and systemic level
- Connect your academic curriculum, including contemplative practice, to experiences in your community organization
- Practice dialogue through critical analysis and reflection
- Understand difference with compassion