DEADLINE: Applications for 2023-2024 Faculty Fellows are DUE April 28, 2023. To apply click here.
Download Faculty Fellows 2023-24 Call for Application Flyer here.
The Civic Engagement and Service-Learning Faculty Fellowship is for faculty who would like to develop new learning opportunities for their students in collaboration with off-campus community partners.
Are you a faculty member who would like to:
- provide students with a deeper, experiential academic understanding of the world in which they live and their power to be positive agents of change?
- integrate community engagement and service learning into your course?
- enhance your engaged research with a community partner you already work with, and strengthen the relationship between your engaged scholarship and your teaching?
- develop or adapt a course that would meet requirements for the Certificate in Civic Engagement and Public Service?
If you are interested in any of the above, the Civic Engagement and Service-Learning Faculty Fellowship allows you to:
- Connect with like-minded faculty from departments across campus.
- Explore methods for mutually beneficial relationships with communities.
- Learn to apply a high-impact, transformative pedagogy for social change relevant to any discipline.
- Help your department contribute to all four student learning goals of the UMass Strategic Plan: Community, Agency, Responsibility, and Proficiency.
CESL Fellows attend monthly meetings, and work on new or existing syllabi with a diverse group of faculty from across campus. Fellows are awarded a $1000 stipend that is transferred to their home department and can be used as research funds, or as one-time additional compensation subject to appropriate taxation and other deductions.
DATES FOR AY 23-24: Orientation/retreat on Friday, August 25th 2022, from 12:00 - 4:00 PM, then the 8 monthly seminars (on Fridays, from 12:00pm - 2:30pm): September 29th, October 27th, November 17th, December 15th, January 26th, February 23rd, March 29th, April 26th.
Monthly seminars are on Fridays, and meet from 12:00 pm - 2:30 pm.