Registering for Co-op Status

Co-operative experiences (co-ops) are full-time paid work experiences with an employer, where the work is clearly related to the student’s major. During a co-op, students do not enroll in traditional classes and instead focus their attention on the work experience for a semester. Learn more about how to use Handshake to register yourself for co-op status by submitting a Handshake Experience Contract, which starts the process to get you registered for co-op status with the University. If you have any questions, reach out to the Field Experience Program Manager for assistance.

If you are looking to register a professional experience for credit, visit the Register an Internship for Credit Guide.

How to Register Yourself for Co-op Status through Handshake

Login to Handshake and submit a co-op contract:

  1. Select “Career Center” on the left navigation bar

  2. Select “Experiences”

  3. Select “Request an Experience

  4. Select "Undergraduate Co-op" as the template

  5. Fill out the co-op experience contract in its entirety. If your experience requires any forms to be attached, you can find them on the Co-op Forms page.

Once you submit your Contract and it is reviewed by the Field Experience Office, they will help you get registered for co-op status. Note that review and approval may take up to 5 business days or longer depending on the time of year.

Frequently Asked Questions about Registering for Co-op Status