Can I Do an Internship for Credit?

The answer depends on your department.

First things first: any student can do an internship without earning academic credit for the experience, so long as they meet the legal requirements to work. For students wishing to earn academic credit for an internship, you need to see if your department allows it within your curriculum. Below is a list of all departments at UMass Amherst and their policies towards obtaining academic credit towards the completion of your degree. 

Students: Please check with an academic advisor in your department to see if a credited internship will work for your specific academic requirements. Most departments require you to have completed at least 45 credits and have a minimum of a 2.0 GPA to do an internship for credit.

International Students: In order to engage in a paid internship (for F-1 and J-1 visa students) or an unpaid internship (for J-1 visa students), you must obtain internship credit during the semester(s) in which you are working. Check with the International Programs Office to see what you need to do to get started.

Faculty/Staff: If you would like to suggest an edit to your department's description, contact @email.

Click Your School/College Below:

BDIC: Bachelor's Degree with Individual Concentration
CICS: Manning College of Information and Computer Sciences
CNS: College of Natural Sciences
CoE: College of Engineering
EDU: College of Education
HFA: College of Humanities and Fine Arts
ISOM: Isenberg School of Management
NUR: Elaine Marieb College of Nursing
SBS: College of Social and Behavioral Science
SPHHS: School of Public Health and Health Sciences

Bachelor's Degree with Individual Concentration (BDIC)

Manning College of Information and Computer Sciences

College of Natural Sciences

College of Engineering

College of Education

College of Humanities & Fine Arts

Isenberg School of Management

Elaine Marieb College of Nursing

College of Social and Behavioral Sciences

School of Public Health and Health Sciences