I don't know what kind of job or career I want. What should I do?
1. Go through these next pages, try some assessments, and consider creating a plan that integrates your education with your career goals.
2. Talk about your ideas with friends, family, faculty and advisors.
3. Make an appointment with a Career Advisor to talk about your possible futures.
We'll help you explore your skills, interests, personality, behavior and passions and then identify job titles, career paths and industries in which you'll flourish.
• Volunteer and get involved with on-campus student organizations
• Familiarize yourself with Central Career Services and your college's Career Center resources and websites, including Handshake
• Get good grades - seek out support to succeed academically
• Gain summer experience by working or volunteering
We'll help you refine your resume and find internships so that you can test out some of your ideas.
• Prepare to apply for an internship, co-op, or research field experience
• Attend Career workshops and Career fairs
• Meet with a Career advisor
We'll help you to concentrate on how to search for internships and jobs and what interviewing skills you will need.
• Participate in an internship, co-op, or research field experience
• Continue to attend Career workshops, employer events and Career fairs
• Meet with a Career advisor to stay on track
• Build your professional network - including creating a LinkedIn Profile
• If you're thinking about Graduate or Professional School, meet with an Academic Advisor in your program and discuss your options
We'll give you a chance to meet employers on campus who are interviewing for full time positions.
• Go to events on job searching techniques and buy an interview outfit
• Continue to attend Career related workshops, employer events and Career fairs
• Practice a Mock Interview with a Career Advisor and keep them updated on your job search progress
• Update your resume and LinkedIn Profile
• Apply for full-time positions using Handshake and other databases and leads
• Participate in On-Campus Recruiting
• Share any good after-graduation news via UMass surveys!
Career Services Advising for University of Massachusetts Amherst
UMass Amherst College Career Centers:
Academic and Additional Pre-Professional Advising