Perhaps you are one of the many students who want to enhance their UMass experience with an internship abroad? Or maybe you’re just someone looking for a bit of adventure overseas? Whether you are a worldly traveler, or someone just seeking new opportunities, an internship or field work experience abroad is an exciting way to learn more about other cultures while learning more about yourself.
Benefits of an International Internship
- Bridge a work experience with a study abroad experience
- Give yourself an opportunity to learn a new language
- Make contacts for future travel or employment
- Gain an understanding of other cultures and environments
- Take your opportunity to travel the world
The key to finding the right international internship for you is to start exploring resources and opportunities very early. Do as much research as you can. Collect the most information you can before making your decision. Research the country or area of the world where you want to spend a semester of your college career. Once you have done enough research to formulate specific targets, consider these tips before you start your internship experience:
- Contact organizations which interest you
- Send your resume with a short cover letter
- Be clear about what you can do -- your current skills that will apply to the internship
- Remember that terms like "internship" may not have the same meaning in other countries
- Very few internships abroad will pay you, and some will charge you money for housing, so make sure you can afford the experience.
- A Career Service Advisor can tell you about limited scholarship funds, competitively available, to help you make your unpaid field experience affordable
- The International Programs Office (IPO) will register you with their listing. You MUST visit the IPO office 6 months prior to your departure in order for all paperwork to be completed.
- Get the terms of the internship in writing, including your duties, start date and end date
Finding internships abroad can be challenging but with the right knowledge and tools it can also make your UMass Amherst experience that much better. Here are some resources to aid you in your research:
AIESEC is the world's largest student-run organization. Focused on providing a platform for youth leadership development, AIESEC offers young people the opportunity to be global citizens, to change the world, and to get experience and skills that matter today.
Going Global Country Career Guides are the jobseeker’s tool for finding employment at home and abroad
Intern Abroad Directory
Search a directory of over 17,000 opportunities to find the best international internship for you!
Offers worldwide placement based on your area of interest. Many of the positions offered on this site are paid, but some are unpaid.
Great travel resource for meaningful work, living and study abroad
Center for International Studies Abroad
At CISabroad we are COMMITTED to giving you the best value in study abroad.
GoAbroad.com is dedicated to providing this information in a clean and less-commercial format. Advertising space is limited and strategically placed for the most cohesive design. GoAbroad.com is a very user-friendly site, graphics are developed with load time as a priority, search directories and content are created as the market demands.
Fund My Travel
Planning your next volunteer, study or adventure program abroad? Create your own Travel Campaign and start raising funds now!