Service Connected Disability (Veterans)

If you are a veteran, you will be considered totally and permanently disabled for purposes of discharging your Perkins Loan if you provide documentation from the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs showing that you have been determined to be unemployable due to a service-connected condition.

Effective 07-01-2013 the Federal government made sweeping changes to the Total and Permanent Disability (TPD) Discharge process.

If you are a veteran seeking TPD based on a service connected disability, you can either:

  • please call Nelnet, the Total & Permanent Disability Servicer at 1-888-303-7818 between 8:00 AM and 8:00 PM (Eastern time) for assistance, or
  • email them at

Nelnet will contact the University with instructions to suspend billing for a period of time to allow you to provide them (Nelnet) with the necessary documentation to review your TPD claim. If Nelnet approves the discharge based on a service connected disability they will forward instructions to the University to discharge the loan(s).