1098T FAQs

Frequently Asked Questions

Q:  What is a 1098T Form?

A:  The 1098T form is a statement that universities are required to issue to certain students.  It provides the total dollar amount paid by the student for qualified tuition and fees in a single tax year. 


Q:  When will I receive my 1098T Form and how do I get it?

A:  1098-T Tax Statements are available online in SPIRE in early January. You may view your 1098-T form online through your SPIRE access. Once in SPIRE, select Consent for 1098T. If you have already consented to online distribution, simply click on the View 1098T option. You may view and/or print your statement from this menu option.


Q:  Why don’t the numbers on the 1098T Form match the amount I paid to UMass during the year?

A:  The amount in Box 1 only represents the amount paid for qualified tuition and fees; it does not include payments made for room, meal plan, health fees, health insurance, fines and other fees not related to course enrollment. 

The amount in Box 1 reports amounts that the student paid in a certain year, and the pay date does not necessarily correspond to the dates that the classes were attended.  The best and most accurate source of information about the amounts that you paid for qualified tuition and related expenses will be your tuition bills.


Q:  Does that 1098T tax form include payments made for books?

A:  No, the amount reported in Box 1 does not include payments for books.  You should consult with your tax advisor to determine under what conditions (if any) payments for books, equipment or fees should be considered when determining eligibility for educational tax credits.  They will not be reported on the 1098T.


Q.  What semesters are included on my 1098T tax form?

A:  Box 1 on the 1098T tax form includes payments made during the calendar year for qualified tuition and fees; it is not based on when classes were taken or fees billed to the student account.  Your tuition bill will show the dates that payments were posted to your account and will help you determine the semesters that are included.


Q:  My accountant says that the University must provide me with a 1098T form.

A:  Consistent with IRS Regulations, UMass Amherst is not required to provide a 1098-T tax form to a student with the following exception circumstances:

  • Students whose qualified educational expenses were entirely waived or paid with scholarships.
  • Students whose qualified education expenses were entirely paid by a third party, including a student’s employer or government entity.
  • Students who do not have a valid permanent address on file at the University.To update your address, select the Personal Portfolio menu once logged in to SPIRE.
  • Students who do not have a valid Social Security Number (SSN) or Tax Identification Number (TIN) on file with the University. To file a SSN or TIN, contact the appropriate Registrar's Office.
  • Students who are non-resident aliens, i.e., not tax residents of the United States.


What are qualified tuition and fees?

A:  Qualified tuition and related expenses (QTRE) are fees that, when paid, are eligible to be included on the 1098T tax form.  Eligible and non-eligible expenses are listed below.


Eligible Educational Expenses

  • Tuition and Mandatory Fees: Tuition, Technology Fee, Student Activities Fee, Lab Fees, Service Fee, Graduate Senate Tax, Course Fees
  • Schools and Colleges Fees: Honors College Fee, ISOM Fee, Engineering Fee, Nursing Fees, CICS Fees, Music Fees
  • Other Enrollment Related Fees: New Student Enrollment Fee, Commencement Fee, Graduate Entering Fee, CPE/UWW Registration Fee, Class Materials Fees

Non-Eligible Educational Expenses

  • Room and Meal Plan Fees: Room Fees, Cancellation Fees, Meal Plan Fees
  • Health Fees: Student Health Fee, Student Health Insurance Plan Fees, Family Insurance Plan Fees
  • Other Fees: Library fines and fees, Parking permits and fines, Athletics fees, Late Fees, Fees related to non-credit courses


Q:  My SSN is wrong on my 1098T form.  Can I have a new one sent to me?

A:  If your SSN or TIN is missing or invalid, please submit the following:    

1. A signed statement requesting that the SSN/TIN be added to your record; statement should include the correct SSN/TIN and your Student ID number

2. A photo ID

3. A copy of your Social Security Card or a completed W-9S form https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/fw9s.pdf

    This information should be submitted to the appropriate Registrar’s Office as listed below.


For Undergraduate Students:

  • Remote option: upload necessary documentation as outlined above here.
  • In-person option: Bring a photo ID and a copy of your Social Security Card or completed W-9S form in-person to the Registrar’s Office, 213 Whitmore Administration Building. Office hours are Wednesday and Thursday from 11am – 3pm.


For Graduate Students:

  • The Graduate School is not currently open for in-person business.
  • Please upload the necessary documentation here.

Once you have submitted the correct information, you can request a corrected 1098T tax form be created.


Q:  I can’t get access to my Form 1098-T because I have graduated and have forgotten my access information.

A.  If you have forgotten your password to SPIRE, please use the ‘Password and NetID Help’ link on the SPIRE logon page.  www.spire.umass.edu.

If that is not successful, you can request an electronic version of your 1098T statement by email.  Please send requests to bursar@admin.umass.edu.  You must send this request using your UMASS student email address, or the address listed as your alternate email address in SPIRE at the time you left the university.  Requests sent from other email addresses or by phone will not be answered.