Department at a Glance
Points of Pride
- ~680 undergraduates
- 35% of our undergraduate majors are on the Dean’s List
- BMB Faculty were awarded over $3.2 million in funding for research in the areas of biomedicine and plant growth and development from the following sources:
- National Institutes of Health
- National Science Foundation
- U.S. Department of Agriculture
- Burroughs Wellcome Fund
Education and Career Development
- All BMB majors participate in authentic, course-based laboratory research.
- Ludmila Tyler's new course “Molecular Genetics and Genomics” teaches students about genetics and genomics by breeding virtual dragons.
- Lila Gierasch has been the editor-in-chief of the Journal of Biological Chemistry from ASBMB since July 2016.
- Alice Cheung recieved the Samuel F. Conti Faculty Fellowship Award, which recognizes outstanding accomplishments in research and potential for continued excellence.
- Dong Wang received the Lilly Fellowship for Teaching Excellence, the 2018 Sargent Award for Visiting Scholars at the Arnold Arboretum, and the 2018 ASPB Master Educator Program Award
- Members of BMB faculty serve on a dozen editorial boards of major journals.
- BMB majors have been named Goldwater Scholars and Rising Researchers; received the 21st Century Leader Award, William F. Field Alumni Scholarship, Leaders in the Making Award, Senior Leadership Award, and ASPB Summer Undergraduate Research Fellowship; have been accepted into the Summer Honors Undergraduate Research Program at Harvard Medical School; and selected for the Howard Hughes Medical Institute Summer Research Internship Program and the Junior Fellows Program in the Life Sciences at UMass Amherst.