University+ Professional Education (Formerly Known as UWW/CPE)
Interested in taking our courses as a working professional without being a full-time UMass student? This is possible through a per-credit fee-based process through UMass’ University+ system. Anyone not enrolled at UMass or the Five Colleges can sign up for one of our Professional Education courses (see list below) as a non-degree undergraduate or graduate student.
We are also now offering a 15-credit, part-time Graduate Certificate in Sustainable Building Construction for those that want to gain a valuable credential without needing to enroll into a full graduate program.
Currently enrolled UMass students can also sign up for these courses, but costs for University+ sections are usually in addition to their regular tuition. This can make sense for those that seek to complete a summer course to catch up on credits or requirements. Also, Five College students can enroll into our regular courses through this process.
Why Take Our Courses?
Advance your knowledge in sustainable building construction and expand your professional horizon, one course at a time.
Attend conveniently scheduled in-person courses or learn online at your own pace. You can even use our courses towards a certificate or degree.
Get Paid To Study
Our full-semester courses are very affordable. Check with your employer for tuition reimbursement programs.
Current University+ Professional Education Courses in BCT
These are either online, hybrid (blended online & in-person), or in-person courses that we currently offer through University+ (formerly called UWW/CPE) from our Amherst and Mount Ida (Newton, MA) campuses. You can learn more about course modality on the University+ website using the link below.
You can always find our current courses and enroll at this link (search for BCT or ECO under “Subject”):
These courses are offered in some of our regular terms:
- Fall Term (Sept-Dec) – 13 weeks
- Winter Term (Dec-Jan) – 6 weeks
- Spring Term (Feb-May) – 13 weeks
- Summer Term (May-Jun or Jul-Aug) – 6 weeks each
Examples of previous University+ courses:
- BCT 220 – Communicating Building Science and Sustainability
- BCT 314 – Construction Estimating
- BCT 320 – Introduction to CAD & BIM in Construction and Architecture
- BCT 414 – Sustainable Building and LEED GA Certification
- BCT 503 – LEED Xcelerator
- BCT 515 – Living Labs: Solving for Carbon Neutrality with High Performance Buildings
- BCT 525 – Solar Energy Systems and Building Design
- BCT 597BE – Introduction to Building Energy Modeling
- BCT 597N – Legal Aspects of Architecture, Engineering, and the Construction Process
- BCT 597Z – International Construction
- ECO 614 – Sustainable Building and Smart Growth Systems
- ECO 620 – Studies in Building Information Modeling
- ECO 624 – Understanding Wood and Wood Products
- ECO 692C – Sustainable Building Systems Seminar
- ECO 692S – Readings in Sustainable Building Systems
Not all of these are offered each semester. Check the University+ website for availability. Learn more about these courses here.
- Anyone can take a regularly scheduled BCT course as a University+ course (if space is available) via the non-degree student process by following these instructions. For a list of what we offer, visit the BCT course page.
- Anyone can pursue a faculty-led University+ independent study or practicum on a topic of interest via the non-degree student process by following these instructions. Contact the appropriate faculty member in BCT to get their permission for enrollment and then register through CPE.
We are always working on increasing our in-person and online professional education course offerings. Sign up for our email notifications so that we can remind you when we post new courses.
For questions regarding enrollment, contact the University+ (formerly UWW/CPE) Registrar’s Office here: – (413) 545-2424 or (800) 922-8211