Undergraduate Advising

Astronomy Work From Home Helpful Resources

General Info


Undergraduate Advisors


Prof Houjun Mo: Chief Undergraduate Advisor (CUA)

Prof Ron Snell: Undergraduate Program Director and Academic Advisor

Prof. Min Yun: Academic Advisor for transfer students

Prof. Mauro Givalisco.: Academic Advisor for the Class of 2021

Prof. Steve Schneider: Academic Advisor to Class 2022

Prof. Daniel Wang.: Academic Advisor 1 for the Class of 2023

Prof. Neal Katz: Academic Advisor 2 for the Class of 2023

Prof. Alex Pope: Academic Advisor 1 for Class of 2024

Prof. Kate Whitaker: Academic Advisor 2 for Class of 2024

How do I become an astronomy major or minor?


To become an astronomy major (or to add astronomy as your second major), you should first make an appointment with Chief Academic Advisor Prof. Houjun Mo. Prior to your first advising meeting, you should review the different tracks the department offers and their requirements in advance. After you have your meeting with Professor Mo, you will send the request to change your major to cpiquette@umass.edu. Please include whether you will make Astronomy your first, second major, or only major, and include the subplan that you will be following. You can change major or add a program, including astronomy minor, any time during the semester. You can learn a great deal more about our program by reading the Astronomy Majors Handbook.


Who is my academic dean?


If you have any academic issues outside the department requirements (e.g., academic probation, overload petition), you should see your College academic dean. You should contact the College Academic Advising office and make an appointment with them. These are also the nice people who will be able to answer questions about your college requirements and Gen Ed requirements.


Where should I go to to discuss my GenEd and College requirements?


Your department advisor can share with you some general ideas, but you should really discuss topics on GenEd and College requirements with your the advisors in the College Academic Advising office. Note that the Undergraduate Advising (UA) in 613 Goodell is primarily for those who have not decided on a major yet, and they will not providing any advising for you.



Frequently Asked Questions

For further information, please contact Professor Houjun Mo