Reiko Sono Senior Lecturer & Japanese Honors Program Director
Office: Herter 331
Departmental Honors (DH) is an Advanced Scholarship track of Commonwealth Honors College (CHC). Students may complete DH as part of the full CHC curriculum, which includes Honors General Studies, or they may complete DH alone. All DH students are members of CHC.
Successful completion of the DH requirements with minimum grades of B (or as specified below) and the submission of a properly formatted Honors Thesis or Project manuscript will result in the award of "Departmental Honors" on the student's academic transcript.
General Admission Criteria
Minimally, to be eligible to apply for DH, students must have 1) An overall GPA of 3.400 or higher earned after one fulltime semester of UMass Amherst coursework; 2) The ability to complete the DH-Track requirements; and 3) The ability to complete the CHC residency requirement, i.e., 45-graded (not pass/fail) credits earned at UMass Amherst (not transferred).
UMass Amherst students who are not already members of Commonwealth Honors College (CHC) must apply to Departmental Honors (DH), an Advanced Scholarship track of CHC, via the CHC Online Application. the following link.
CHC members meet with the department’s Honors Program Director (HPD) regarding their interest in joining Departmental Honors (DH), an Advanced Scholarship track of CHC. The HPD will determine a student's eligibility and preparedness for DH. Admission to DH will be at the discretion of the HPD based on the criteria as established by the department and CHC (see Admission Criteria above). The HPD will notify the CHC office of newly accepted DH students so appropriate steps can be taken for SPIRE designation.
- 1 JAPAN honors course any level
- 1 JAPAN honors course 300-level or higher
- Honors Thesis or Project:
- Individually contracted: JAPAN 499Y Honors Research and JAPAN 499T Honors Thesis or Project
- Classroom seminar: guided by an instructor's pre-approved syllabi on a specific topic and registered via SPIRE. Seminar descriptions are listed in the Honors Course Guide and are subject to change year to year.
- Note: A maximum of two Japanese intensive language courses (6 credits each) may count toward DH requirements if class size is below 21.
Note: exceptions to the requirements above require approval by both the Honors Program Director (HPD) and a Commonwealth Honors College advisor; requests must be submitted in writing via the CHC Petition for Exception form
For more information, contact Senior Lecturer Reiko Sono, the Honors Program Director for Japanese.